Adding a drive w/o formatting. RRS feed

• Question

• I wish there was a feature that allowed a drive to be added into the server without formatting on it.  One of my drives has has a bunch of media on it and I really don't want to lose any of it.  I suppose I can add it to the computer and set up permissions and such outside the WHS console window, but I think that when this software goes to the general market, people will want to be able to add in hard drives that already have stuff on them without formatting and losing their files.
    Friday, August 10, 2007 6:56 PM

All replies

• The documentation describes the process to add a drive without adding it to the storage pool.

Friday, August 10, 2007 7:58 PM
  •  JR41588 wrote:
    I wish there was a feature that allowed a drive to be added into the server without formatting on it.  One of my drives has has a bunch of media on it and I really don't want to lose any of it.  I suppose I can add it to the computer and set up permissions and such outside the WHS console window, but I think that when this software goes to the general market, people will want to be able to add in hard drives that already have stuff on them without formatting and losing their files.

You're not going to 'lose' any of your data. I assume you built the server with at least two HDDs attached and the HDD capacity is the same as the drive with your media. Just copy the files across ( because you will want a copy outside the beta) and you are ready to go. I suppose when the OS goes RTM people will start slinging any old drives floating around into their brand new box and this forum will fill up with tales of woe regarding failed HDDs but personally I would only put fresh drives into the server.

Friday, August 10, 2007 8:25 PM