Showing related fields in associated view RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a situation where I would like to show related information to an entity on it's associated view. For example, in the contact associated view, would like to show information from the contacts parent company entity. This is all possible in other views (All Contacts, My Contacts and custom views), but not for the associated view.

My first idea was to simply do this in the customizations-XML. But an associated view is declared with a somewhat different schema than the other views.

Another idea (which I have yet to try) is to make use of a custom view, which I then by making modifications to ISV.config, make available on the left menu on the entities where I want this. I then modify the query using a plugin (explained here: http://crm.georged.id.au/post/2008/03/07/Displaying-inactive-records-in-associated-view.aspx) to make sure it only returns the contacts related to that particular entity. I'm not sure if this will work, as I have to get from which entity this is being used, but hopefully I will be able to extract that information from the IPluginExecutionContext.

Any suggestions? Could this even work? Or is there another approach explained somewhere that I haven't found yet.

Thanks,

Adrian

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 10:13 AM

Answers

•  

There isn't a great "out of the box" answer for this question.  The reason that the related entities attributes are not displayed in the associated view is because the associated view is displayed with any relationship with the entity, so it can't show related fields as from another context it may throw errors.

I have done it with an SSRS report that you display in an iframe on the form from the primary entity.

Friday, November 21, 2008 8:36 PM