How to tell if Sync Framework 2.0 Runtime is installed in MSI RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I am currently writing a MSI installer for our software. The product uses MS Sync Framework 2.0. Therefore I would like to check whether the Sync Framework 2.0 runtime is installed on the target machine during setup. Is there a registry key or something like this that I could use for that?

I already created a bootstrapper that runs the sync framework runtime installer. However, it is necessary for us to provide a .msi file (without bootstrapper), too, that checks if the necessary prerequisites are installed.

Kind regards,
    Rainer.

Rainer
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 12:05 PM

Answers

• Hello,

in general, the recommended way is just to include Ms Sync Framework msi into your setup package.
    This will ensure that the runtime is installed the right way.
    If you absolutely want to independently verify if the Ms Sync Framework msi is installed or not, you may want to check the registry value of the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Sync Framework\v2.0\Setup\SynchronizationX86\Install" key. Presence of this key and its value equal to 1 indicate that the runtime is installed.
    Naturally, if your dependency is on x64 or ia64 versions of the framework, make corresponding changes in the registry key path.

Thanks,
    Lech
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 2:00 AM

All replies

• Hello,

in general, the recommended way is just to include Ms Sync Framework msi into your setup package.
    This will ensure that the runtime is installed the right way.
    If you absolutely want to independently verify if the Ms Sync Framework msi is installed or not, you may want to check the registry value of the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Sync Framework\v2.0\Setup\SynchronizationX86\Install" key. Presence of this key and its value equal to 1 indicate that the runtime is installed.
    Naturally, if your dependency is on x64 or ia64 versions of the framework, make corresponding changes in the registry key path.

Thanks,
    Lech
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 2:00 AM
  • Hi Lech!

Thank you for your help. Meanwhile I looked through the registry and found exactly the same registry key that you mentioned. It works fine for me.

We have included the MSF MSI in our bootstrapper. However, we need to have an independent MSI file that can be used even without the bootstrapper. The MSI has to check whether all prerequisites (including MSF) are installed. This is the reason why we need to check the registry.

Kind regards,
    Rainer.

Rainer
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 6:56 AM