Restore question/Error RRS feed

• Question

• trying to restore  vista business 32 bit on a dell laptop that had 4 partition on the factory hard drive.  I deleted and extended the C drive into the 2 partition that would allow it.  the last partition I can do nothing to.  It is labeled as a boot and is roughly 40 mb. 

I have tried to restore using no drivers from the last backup and with the drivers with the last backup and get the same problem.  the restore wizard finds the server and starts the restore just fine in both cases.  First time the problem occured at  2  minutes, the next time at 11 minutes remaining of the restore I get this message.
    "Unable to refresh restore wizard from your server.  Your server may ber an older version of windwos home server than this CD or your server may be damage, we will attempt to restore witha non older version"

after I hit OK it tries to go through it again but cannot, and eventually get back to the same error message.  I have download the lateset dual boot restore Cd and the server shows it is not in need of any updates as I checked the website and it is set to auto updates.

I got frustrated and tried to just install the OS from scratch and it will not do that now as the CD does not recognize the hard drive to install anything to, even though I can navigate to it when I look to load drivers.  Though there is not a driver for the hard drive from Dell.   So I am stuck trying to figure out the restore issue.

any ideas?
    Saturday, December 27, 2008 5:26 PM

Answers

• Random Betrayal said:

Well I did not think the reboot would make a difference and I was right.  It hangs and gives the error message as above at the 11 minute mark every time.

I am stuck at this point.

Hello,

Please file a bug on Connect and include client and server CABs. Once you've filed the bug, we will follow up with you via Connect.

If do not already have a Connect ID, you may have to register before you can access some of the links above.

Thank you
    Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Monday, December 29, 2008 7:15 PM

All replies

• Random Betrayal said:

trying to restore  vista business 32 bit on a dell laptop that had 4 partition on the factory hard drive.  I deleted and extended the C drive into the 2 partition that would allow it.  the last partition I can do nothing to.  It is labeled as a boot and is roughly 40 mb. 

I have tried to restore using no drivers from the last backup and with the drivers with the last backup and get the same problem.  the restore wizard finds the server and starts the restore just fine in both cases.  First time the problem occured at  2  minutes, the next time at 11 minutes remaining of the restore I get this message.
    "Unable to refresh restore wizard from your server.  Your server may ber an older version of windwos home server than this CD or your server may be damage, we will attempt to restore witha non older version"

after I hit OK it tries to go through it again but cannot, and eventually get back to the same error message.  I have download the lateset dual boot restore Cd and the server shows it is not in need of any updates as I checked the website and it is set to auto updates.

I got frustrated and tried to just install the OS from scratch and it will not do that now as the CD does not recognize the hard drive to install anything to, even though I can navigate to it when I look to load drivers.  Though there is not a driver for the hard drive from Dell.   So I am stuck trying to figure out the restore issue.

any ideas?

Did your PC come with a recovery disk?  How big was the original hard drive and how big is the new one?
    Saturday, December 27, 2008 6:12 PM
  • I am restoring to the original hard drive.  Since I deleted the 2 partitions I have gone from my backup of 68 gb to a now available 74 gb.

I have tried to use the repair option as well as the full install with the vista disk and both give the same issue in that it can not find the drive or ask for a driver for the mass storage device.

The computer orgianally had xp that I updated to vista myself.
    Saturday, December 27, 2008 6:17 PM
  • I checked to see that the backup was fine by accessing it from the desktop computer and it is able to pull up the backup and I printed a word document from one of the document folders so the backup itself is not the issue.

On to trying the next thing I guess.

I rebooted the server as I read on other posts here that the November update could not have restarted the computer and had some issues, so I am now running another restore after the reboot of the server.
    Saturday, December 27, 2008 7:42 PM
  • Well I did not think the reboot would make a difference and I was right.  It hangs and gives the error message as above at the 11 minute mark every time.

Saturday, December 27, 2008 8:48 PM
  • Random Betrayal said:

Well I did not think the reboot would make a difference and I was right.  It hangs and gives the error message as above at the 11 minute mark every time.

Hello,

Please file a bug on Connect and include client and server CABs. Once you've filed the bug, we will follow up with you via Connect.

If do not already have a Connect ID, you may have to register before you can access some of the links above.

Thank you
    Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Monday, December 29, 2008 7:15 PM
  • Hi,
    do you have a second client PC?
    In this case you may check, if the method described in this FAQ is an option for you.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, December 29, 2008 9:03 PM
  • Got tired of trying so I just reinstalled, what a shame too, as the ability to restore was one of the features that sold me on the software in the first place.  I have successfully restored the software on my second computer, I don't think I will ever trust it to restore the operating system.
    Friday, January 2, 2009 10:25 PM