Add-ins? RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone have any preliminary add-ins that they are testing that they would like to have some outside feedback on? I am willing to help test add-ins and if you have any, let me know here or thru my blog.
    Sunday, April 15, 2007 4:54 AM

All replies

• I'd give them a try also. Anybody looking for suggestions? I'd like to be able to connect my Weather Station into my WHS and make it's info available on my LAN. I just don't know how.
    Friday, April 27, 2007 3:37 PM
  • What brand weather station is it?
    Saturday, April 28, 2007 1:51 PM
  • For some reason I could not get a "Message box" to reply to the Addins post. So I'll try to reply here. My weather station is an Oregon Scientific WMR-968.
    Saturday, April 28, 2007 4:03 PM
  • There's software available to do what you're looking for now. There's Weatherview 32 from the manufacturer and Virtual Weather Station from an ISV that I see offhand.

You'll also need a serial cable to connect the station to whatever PC you decide to use.
    Saturday, April 28, 2007 5:11 PM
  • Thanks, I'm aware of some of the available weather programs, I'll look at the two you mentioned. I may sound stupid here but...........can I install and run programs from my server? I was under the impression that it is basically a file server. If so how? Thank You, Ron
    Monday, April 30, 2007 11:40 PM
  • Ron, that's the wrong question. You can install almost anything on WHS.

The right question is "Should I install this on WHS?" I don't have your weather station, and I don't own a copy of any of the software that's out there to support it, so I can't give a specific answer. My general answer is:

If you want a service that logically should be available 24/7, and it can be installed as a service, then yes, you should.

Obviously you will have to be careful not to overload WHS with applications, but it's a server, and the whole purpose of servers is to provide services to the network environment. File sharing, backup, remote access, etc. are all traditional services provided by servers. Sound familiar? Smile

If having access to your weather station from anywhere is important to you, and if the software can be configured to work correctly while there's nobody logged in to the server, I say go for it. If you decide to do this, BTW, I would take a look at Weather Underground. They have a much more complete list of software available than my 2 minutes of research delivered.
    Tuesday, May 1, 2007 12:18 AM
  • Thank You Ken, I appreciate the time you have spent helping to guide me with this. I will go to the underground and research further. I'm somewhat familiar with the available weather programs, but not as well versed with the WHS enviroment. As I understand it the main criteria I need to look for is the ability to run the weather software as a "service" Then I assume that I would go onto the WHS desktop and install the software as I would on any other computer. Then figure out how to run the "service" on my other computers on my LAN.
    Tuesday, May 1, 2007 2:47 PM
  • Ron, this is getting pretty far afield for the WHS beta forums. Drop me a line (my email address is in my profile) and we can discuss further off-line.
    Tuesday, May 1, 2007 4:10 PM
  • Ken, Did you receive my E-Mail?
    Wednesday, May 2, 2007 2:22 AM
  • I have developed an add-in that needs testing.

Please check http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1545562&SiteID=50

Wednesday, May 2, 2007 9:17 AM