Opening a file and printing it RRS feed

• Question

• I don't know if this has already been covered but if not then I need help.

I am trying to open, and or print, a document from the web.The form is from the British Consulate and I trust the content. My options once I have clicke don the form are, open or save, I have clicked both. No matter what choice I make, the file does not open or save. The file type is, pdf_auto_file,202KB

I am at a loss to understand why this form, or it's accompanying notes on a seperate download, will not work for me, as they have in the past. I have not changed any settings, but I suppose it is possible that Onecare may have made changes when installing automatic updates.

Any ideas people???

Mnay thanks Jeff.  

Thursday, January 10, 2008 9:07 PM

Answers

• Thanks for your reply. The answer to what you ask was no, it didn't matter what I clicked on nothing would work. I did consider dropping the fire wall whilst I down loaded the form, but then changed my mind, as I was not sure that this is where the problem lied.

I came to the conclusion that the fact that it was a pdf file might have something to do with it, and as it turned out I was right.

I checked out my version of Acrobat Reader and what the latest version was. I down loaded Acrobat Reader 8, and once that was loaded, I had no problem in opening the form.

I still don't know why I could, and then couldn't open the form, I can only assume that some auto action was taken that changed my pc settings and or programms. Onecare updates my pc when ever it discovers that updates are needed. I had not deleted the version of Acrobat Reader that I once used to open this form.

So my problem is now solved, but the mystery as to why I had a problem, still lingers.

Jeff.     

Friday, January 11, 2008 2:50 PM

All replies

• Can you right click on the link for the form and select Save As, which will download it to your PC, and then double click the downloaded file in Windows Explorer to open it?

It may be an IE security setting, or it may be a problem with the web site.

If you suspect the OneCare firewall, open OneCare and turn the firewall off temporarily.

What is the link to the document?

-steve

Friday, January 11, 2008 2:35 PM
  • Thanks for your reply. The answer to what you ask was no, it didn't matter what I clicked on nothing would work. I did consider dropping the fire wall whilst I down loaded the form, but then changed my mind, as I was not sure that this is where the problem lied.

I came to the conclusion that the fact that it was a pdf file might have something to do with it, and as it turned out I was right.

I checked out my version of Acrobat Reader and what the latest version was. I down loaded Acrobat Reader 8, and once that was loaded, I had no problem in opening the form.

I still don't know why I could, and then couldn't open the form, I can only assume that some auto action was taken that changed my pc settings and or programms. Onecare updates my pc when ever it discovers that updates are needed. I had not deleted the version of Acrobat Reader that I once used to open this form.

So my problem is now solved, but the mystery as to why I had a problem, still lingers.

Jeff.     

Friday, January 11, 2008 2:50 PM
  • Thanks for the update, Jeff. I suspect that the problem may have been with Adobe Acrobat Reader, and it could have been blocked by OneCare. Once you installed the latest version of the reader, it was allowed through the firewall and all was good.

-steve

Friday, January 11, 2008 3:29 PM