Periodic file corruption and other file conflicts RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I've been researching some occasional corrupt files and other file conflicts that WHS is identifying.  I've looked at the stickies and read on these forums and I'm not quite at the bottom of these issues.  I'll be very verbose so please pardon the long post.

I've had several files recently be identified as corrupt.  The message displayed is "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" and when I navigate to that folder and try opening the file, most of the time it's corrupt.  Today one was identified that I could still open, however, so I'm not sure what the deal is with that.  Usually these files are .jpg and .mp3 files (I use my WHS mostly for image and music storage) and I've seen a thumbs.db file listed once.  I've wound up deleting a couple of the files but I've seen it go away on its own before, which seems weird.

A couple of days ago, I had a file identified as corrupt like I described above.  Today I'm getting a message saying "The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid" in this file.  Bing returned some MSDN articles that were completely unhelpful so I'm not sure what this means.  I do know that the file is indeed corrupt as I can't open it anymore.  I have an add-in called "Duplication Info" which shows detailed information about where files are duplicated with WHS Folder Duplication.  This add-in displays a message saying "CreateFile() Failed" indicating some sort of trouble (I don't expect someone here to know exactly what this means since it's a custom add-in I found - but it's of interest for troubleshooting).

My WHS box is one that I built with the below components.  It's been running headless (i.e. no monitor, keyboard, or mouse) since December 2008 and is on PP2.  Windows Updates are current and I don't think there are any new drivers available.  There is a BIOS update I'm going to try when I have some time.  I'm also using NOD32 AV and have it restricted to scanning a specific list of included files.  Image and music files are not scanned by my AV.  I access it via the console from a 64-bit Vista machine (recently upgraded to Win7 RC).  I have a couple of other Vista 32-bit machines on the network which are not being backed up or have the connector software installed.  They only access the server via UNC paths.

Motherboard:  Asus M3A78-EM
    CPU:  AMD Sempron LE-1250
    RAM:  2x1gb Crucial Ballistix 1066
    HDD:  2x 750gb Western Digital Green RE2 (WD7500AYPS)

Awhile back, I ran Chkdsk via GUI and selected the "repair" option and let it reboot.  After several hours, it completed and there were no related error messages logged in the event viewer.  Both drives report as "healthy" in the WHS Console.  Write Caching and Shadow Copies are disabled on both disks.

I did run into a rash of server crashes but I think it was due to the Folding at Home client running as a service and using 100% of the CPU which collided with the backup process of the only computer configured for backups.  In order to access the WHS box again, I had to do a hard reset by pressing the power button.  When the reboot was complete, there were a lot of blue screen messages when I connected via Remote Desktop.  Now that I've stopped running Folding at Home on it, those crashes have pretty much stopped so I think the stability is ok now.

I'm running the following add-ins:
    Advanced Admin Console (lets you run control panel and administrative tools from the WHS Connector software)
    Disk Management (lets you build a wireframe diagram of your server and see usage per disk)
    Duplication Info (displays a per-file list of items duplicated using WHS Folder Duplication and which drives they exist on)

Because this WHS box is my central repository for my image and music files, file corruption is unacceptable.  At least it's notifying me that the files are corrupt so I can place new copies on it if I happen to have them on my local machine.  But I shouldn't have to do this.  Does anyone have any further suggestions?
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 2:58 AM

Answers

• Hi everyone,

I've been researching some occasional corrupt files and other file conflicts that WHS is identifying.  I've looked at the stickies and read on these forums and I'm not quite at the bottom of these issues.  I'll be very verbose so please pardon the long post.

I've had several files recently be identified as corrupt.  The message displayed is "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" and when I navigate to that folder and try opening the file, most of the time it's corrupt.

That message is usually an indicator of a hard drive problem (either the drive itself or some other part of the writing process, such as a driver or a data cable).  Do you have any errors in the System Event Log with event numbers 7, 26, and/or 55?

Today one was identified that I could still open, however, so I'm not sure what the deal is with that.  Usually these files are .jpg and .mp3 files (I use my WHS mostly for image and music storage) and I've seen a thumbs.db file listed once.  I've wound up deleting a couple of the files but I've seen it go away on its own before, which seems weird.

A couple of days ago, I had a file identified as corrupt like I described above.  Today I'm getting a message saying "The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid" in this file.  Bing returned some MSDN articles that were completely unhelpful so I'm not sure what this means.  I do know that the file is indeed corrupt as I can't open it anymore.  I have an add-in called "Duplication Info" which shows detailed information about where files are duplicated with WHS Folder Duplication.  This add-in displays a message saying "CreateFile() Failed" indicating some sort of trouble (I don't expect someone here to know exactly what this means since it's a custom add-in I found - but it's of interest for troubleshooting).

My WHS box is one that I built with the below components.  It's been running headless (i.e. no monitor, keyboard, or mouse) since December 2008 and is on PP2.  Windows Updates are current and I don't think there are any new drivers available.  There is a BIOS update I'm going to try when I have some time.  I'm also using NOD32 AV and have it restricted to scanning a specific list of included files.  Image and music files are not scanned by my AV.

Other users have had problems with that AV on WHS (not to mention it's unsupported anyway).  I would suggest you uninstall that.  You should only use an A/V that is designed for WHS due to the way it handles files.

I access it via the console from a 64-bit Vista machine (recently upgraded to Win7 RC).  I have a couple of other Vista 32-bit machines on the network which are not being backed up or have the connector software installed.  They only access the server via UNC paths.

Awhile back, I ran Chkdsk via GUI and selected the "repair" option and let it reboot.  After several hours, it completed and there were no related error messages logged in the event viewer.  Both drives report as "healthy" in the WHS Console.  Write Caching and Shadow Copies are disabled on both disks.

I did run into a rash of server crashes but I think it was due to the Folding at Home client running as a service and using 100% of the CPU which collided with the backup process of the only computer configured for backups.  In order to access the WHS box again, I had to do a hard reset by pressing the power button.  When the reboot was complete, there were a lot of blue screen messages when I connected via Remote Desktop.  Now that I've stopped running Folding at Home on it, those crashes have pretty much stopped so I think the stability is ok now.

Any chance your corruption could have been because of this?  Were the files that got corrupted there when this occurred?

Advanced Admin Console (lets you run control panel and administrative tools from the WHS Connector software)

I don't personally use this add-in, but as I recall, there was an issue with AAC if you had an older version (although I don't think it was any sort of corruption).  You might want to double check and make sure you have the latest version.

Disk Management (lets you build a wireframe diagram of your server and see usage per disk)
    Duplication Info (displays a per-file list of items duplicated using WHS Folder Duplication and which drives they exist on)

Are all of the corrupted files on the same physical hard drive?

Because this WHS box is my central repository for my image and music files, file corruption is unacceptable.  At least it's notifying me that the files are corrupt so I can place new copies on it if I happen to have them on my local machine.  But I shouldn't have to do this.  Does anyone have any further suggestions?

• Marked as answer by EHole Wednesday, August 26, 2009 1:43 AM
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 5:20 AM
  • I only have two hard drives in the machine.  Just to confirm I'm reading you right, you're thinking that both are likely to be failing?

Possible, but not likely.  The chances of 2 drives failing at the same time are pretty slim (unless your system is constantly running hot or is under some other enormous amount of stress).  My guess is it's the controller card for the drives (which, based on the way you're talking, sounds like both drives are directly plugged into the mobo ports, which would then mean your mobo might be having issues and need to be replaced).

Could it be just the one disk that has the OS (C: volume) and some data in the D: volume on it?

No, because you are also getting errors on C:\fs\4, which is your secondary drive.  It's either A) both hard drives, B) your controller card for those hard drives, or C) the data cables for both hard drives.  I'm leaning towards B at this point...

Should I just RMA both disks to be on the safe side (assuming that Western Digital doesn't have any additional troubleshooting steps to narrow things down).

I would test those drives further, but not in your server.  As I said before, first thing I would do is copy whatever you can from both drives by connecting them to a client (one at a time).  Once you retrieved everything you can, then run chkdsk /r on each one.

And when you mention connecting the disks to a client, will Windows 7 or Vista read the drive if I plug it into one of my desktop machines?

As long as your clients' drives are formatted with NTFS, yes.

I'm planning on turning the box back on tonight when I get home from work and simply copying everything over to my desktop machine via the network.

I wouldn't do that, but it's your choice.  (I already told you how I would handle it.)

You mentioned the hard drive controller could be having issues...the hard drives are just plugged into the motherboard so they're using the built-in controller.  There is a newer BIOS revision available for my motherboard.  Should I go ahead and install that?

I wouldn't (at least not yet).  I think you need to narrow down the cause first.  Right now it's too many possibilities.

Would you recommend starting the RMA process for the motherboard too?

Again, not yet.  Run chkdsk /r on the drives first (on a client, not on the server).

It sounds like it's going to be pretty difficult to say whether it's the disks or controller causing the problem.  It's not like memory where it either works or doesn't, right?

I'm hoping that a complete chkdsk /r run on both drives from a client will reveal something.  If not, you might be better off to just RMA everything if you can.

I read about both avast! and F-secure before I purchased NOD32 and read that avast! really spikes the CPU usage making the server nearly unusable during scans and that F-Secure doesn't have the best track record with virus identification.  Have you noticed any of these issues?

Not on avast.  I suppose if you had the bare minimum hardware specs on your server, you might see issues (although that's probably true with pretty much any A/V), but my server definitely doesn't fall into that category.  :)  As for F-Secure, I don't use it so I can't comment on that.

That's what made me choose NOD32 over them.  I just opened a support ticket with ESET about NOD32 to find out what their official stance is on WHS and will report back once I hear from them.

• Marked as answer by EHole Wednesday, August 26, 2009 1:42 AM
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 12:37 AM

All replies

• Hi everyone,

I've had several files recently be identified as corrupt.  The message displayed is "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" and when I navigate to that folder and try opening the file, most of the time it's corrupt.

That message is usually an indicator of a hard drive problem (either the drive itself or some other part of the writing process, such as a driver or a data cable).  Do you have any errors in the System Event Log with event numbers 7, 26, and/or 55?

Today one was identified that I could still open, however, so I'm not sure what the deal is with that.  Usually these files are .jpg and .mp3 files (I use my WHS mostly for image and music storage) and I've seen a thumbs.db file listed once.  I've wound up deleting a couple of the files but I've seen it go away on its own before, which seems weird.

My WHS box is one that I built with the below components.  It's been running headless (i.e. no monitor, keyboard, or mouse) since December 2008 and is on PP2.  Windows Updates are current and I don't think there are any new drivers available.  There is a BIOS update I'm going to try when I have some time.  I'm also using NOD32 AV and have it restricted to scanning a specific list of included files.  Image and music files are not scanned by my AV.

Other users have had problems with that AV on WHS (not to mention it's unsupported anyway).  I would suggest you uninstall that.  You should only use an A/V that is designed for WHS due to the way it handles files.

I access it via the console from a 64-bit Vista machine (recently upgraded to Win7 RC).  I have a couple of other Vista 32-bit machines on the network which are not being backed up or have the connector software installed.  They only access the server via UNC paths.

Any chance your corruption could have been because of this?  Were the files that got corrupted there when this occurred?

I don't personally use this add-in, but as I recall, there was an issue with AAC if you had an older version (although I don't think it was any sort of corruption).  You might want to double check and make sure you have the latest version.

Are all of the corrupted files on the same physical hard drive?

• Marked as answer by EHole Wednesday, August 26, 2009 1:43 AM
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 5:20 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

When I ran Chkdsk about a month ago, there were a handful of event 55 errors.  I didn't look at the system log yesterday when I made the initial post, but looking at it now there are a ton of them from the last 3 days (over 1000 errors).  And there are a handful of event 26 errors too.

Should I run Chkdsk again with the /r option?  Do I need to run this from the command line or or can I navigate with the GUI and select the "repair" option like I did before?  I'll likely get this process started now since last time it took 6+ hours but I'm ok with running it again.

Is this indicative of drive failure even though SMART is reporting that the drives are ok?  Should I contact Western Digital about potential drive failure and RMA?  Or should I just unplug/replug the SATA connectors?  Seeing this huge explosion of errors really freaks me out!

I can't quite tell which drive the files are on.  The folders that the corrupt files are in are marked for duplication and they're just in the D: volume under the Shares folder with all my other data.  Though, I haven't seen any errors regarding the C: volume so maybe the disk that volume lives on is ok?

Since all of the files which are getting corrupted are flagged for duplication, is there any possibility of recovery?  I was hoping that folder duplication would protect against data loss from corruption/failed hard drive issues.  Is that not the case?

As for the AV, NOD32 is one of the several tested on and designed for WHS:  http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2212.  And there's a forum post where someone from ESET also confirms that they completed WHS testing back in 2006: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=235918.  I'm confident that the product should work...if it doesn't, ESET has some 'splaining to do.  ;)

I'm going to go ahead and uninstall the Advanced Admin Console add-in.  I don't use it very often anyway.
    Monday, August 24, 2009 2:29 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

When I ran Chkdsk about a month ago, there were a handful of event 55 errors.  I didn't look at the system log yesterday when I made the initial post, but looking at it now there are a ton of them from the last 3 days (over 1000 errors).  And there are a handful of event 26 errors too.

Should I run Chkdsk again with the /r option?  Do I need to run this from the command line or or can I navigate with the GUI and select the "repair" option like I did before?  I'll likely get this process started now since last time it took 6+ hours but I'm ok with running it again.

You could try running it again.  See the FAQ post:  How to check all the drives in your server for errors for details on how to do that.  Although, to be honest, I would advise against running it again if you can determine which drive is having issues by looking at the event logs.  In the error messages, are there any details?  Anything with a volume name (i.e. C:\fs\x)?  If so, my suggestion is to power down the server, disconnect that drive from the server (once you determine which one it is), and salvage what data you can before doing anything else.  See the FAQ post:  How to recover data after server failure for details.

Is this indicative of drive failure even though SMART is reporting that the drives are ok?

It is definitely indicative of some problem (whether it's the actual drive or something else, I don't know).

Should I contact Western Digital about potential drive failure and RMA?  Or should I just unplug/replug the SATA connectors?

You could try messing with the data cables (although I would still copy whatever data you can first).  If it doesn't get rid of the errors, I would replace the drive in question.

Seeing this huge explosion of errors really freaks me out!

As well it should.  :)

I can't quite tell which drive the files are on.  The folders that the corrupt files are in are marked for duplication and they're just in the D: volume under the Shares folder with all my other data.  Though, I haven't seen any errors regarding the C: volume so maybe the disk that volume lives on is ok?

There is no share data stored on the C partition, so it's probably ok.  As for the rest, it could be anywhere.

Since all of the files which are getting corrupted are flagged for duplication, is there any possibility of recovery?

Not likely.  Folder Duplication makes an exact copy of the file as it is (including if the file is corrupted).

I was hoping that folder duplication would protect against data loss from corruption/failed hard drive issues.  Is that not the case?

A single failed hard drive, yes.  Data corruption, no.

As for the AV, NOD32 is one of the several tested on and designed for WHS:  http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2212.  And there's a forum post where someone from ESET also confirms that they completed WHS testing back in 2006: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=235918.  I'm confident that the product should work...if it doesn't, ESET has some 'splaining to do.  ;)

While it may work, I can guarantee MS will not support NOD32 in it's current fashion.  If any app requires logging into the server desktop, MS does not support it.  Frankly, I would trust MS more than ESET.  After all, it is their OS.  Not to mention, in the second link you provided, ESET Moderator agoretsky completely sidestepped John M's question of "Will we be getting a WHS add-in in the future in order to be notified and control security operations via WHS console on the client PCs?"  In my mind, that's a red flag, but it's ultimately up to you.

I'm going to go ahead and uninstall the Advanced Admin Console add-in.  I don't use it very often anyway.

Monday, August 24, 2009 4:15 AM
  • I shut my WHS box down in order to hook a monitor, keyboard, and mouse up to it and it ran a chkdsk on my DATA volume upon boot and it found and fixed all sorts of things according to the entries in the Application log.  I have a very recent backup on an external hard drive so if something goes incredibly awry, all is not lost.

After looking at the System log more closely, it looks like there are errors on both C: and D:.  I have the following entries.  I find it interesting that it calls out D: and DATA in separate entries.

The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume D:.
    The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume C:\fs\4.
    The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume DATA

Thanks for the chkdsk instruction link.  I'll give it a whirl.  I'll also get in touch with Western Digital and ESET to get some additional information.

Out of curiosity, do you know why MS wouldn't work with AV companies to get a Microsoft "blessed" WHS AV?  It seems like having an AV on the server is a really smart thing to do since it's generally used as a file repository.  Especially with it's web functionality...

I really appreciate the help you've given me!  Thanks a bunch!

Monday, August 24, 2009 5:45 AM
  • I shut my WHS box down in order to hook a monitor, keyboard, and mouse up to it and it ran a chkdsk on my DATA volume upon boot and it found and fixed all sorts of things according to the entries in the Application log.  I have a very recent backup on an external hard drive so if something goes incredibly awry, all is not lost.

After looking at the System log more closely, it looks like there are errors on both C: and D:.  I have the following entries.  I find it interesting that it calls out D: and DATA in separate entries.

The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume D:.
    The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume C:\fs\4.
    The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume DATA

It looks like you are having problems with at least 2 separate hard drives.  (D is the data portion of your primary drive and c:\fs\4 is one of your secondary drives.  As for the DATA volume, that doesn't really tell much of anything because all of the partitions except the OS partition are "DATA".)  At this point, I would absolutely not turn it on until you pull every drive and backup whatever you can.  (Folder Duplication will only help with 1 bad drive and since you apparently have 2, you may have lost data.)  However, since you have mulitple failing drives, it's possible that your controller might be failing (if they are all connected to same controller).  The best way to check is to pull each drive, connect each one to a client, then run chkdsk /r.

Thanks for the chkdsk instruction link.  I'll give it a whirl.  I'll also get in touch with Western Digital and ESET to get some additional information.

Out of curiosity, do you know why MS wouldn't work with AV companies to get a Microsoft "blessed" WHS AV?
    MS doesn't have to "work" with anyone.  All the A/V companies have to do is create an A/V that installs as an add-in (and make sure they understand how Drive Extender works).  Unfortunately, most A/V companies don't do that for whatever reason.  However, there are at least 2 A/Vs (avast! and F-Secure) that install through the add-in process and would therefore be supported.

It seems like having an AV on the server is a really smart thing to do since it's generally used as a file repository.  Especially with it's web functionality...

I agree.  That's why I use avast! on my server.  I also use avast! on my workstations because of the ability to monitor all of the computers in my household from a central location (the WHS Console).

I really appreciate the help you've given me!  Thanks a bunch!

Monday, August 24, 2009 7:18 PM
  • I only have two hard drives in the machine.  Just to confirm I'm reading you right, you're thinking that both are likely to be failing?  Could it be just the one disk that has the OS (C: volume) and some data in the D: volume on it?  Should I just RMA both disks to be on the safe side (assuming that Western Digital doesn't have any additional troubleshooting steps to narrow things down).

And when you mention connecting the disks to a client, will Windows 7 or Vista read the drive if I plug it into one of my desktop machines?  I'm planning on turning the box back on tonight when I get home from work and simply copying everything over to my desktop machine via the network.

You mentioned the hard drive controller could be having issues...the hard drives are just plugged into the motherboard so they're using the built-in controller.  There is a newer BIOS revision available for my motherboard.  Should I go ahead and install that?  Would you recommend starting the RMA process for the motherboard too?

It sounds like it's going to be pretty difficult to say whether it's the disks or controller causing the problem.  It's not like memory where it either works or doesn't, right?

I read about both avast! and F-secure before I purchased NOD32 and read that avast! really spikes the CPU usage making the server nearly unusable during scans and that F-Secure doesn't have the best track record with virus identification.  Have you noticed any of these issues?  That's what made me choose NOD32 over them.  I just opened a support ticket with ESET about NOD32 to find out what their official stance is on WHS and will report back once I hear from them.

Monday, August 24, 2009 8:17 PM
  • I only have two hard drives in the machine.  Just to confirm I'm reading you right, you're thinking that both are likely to be failing?

Possible, but not likely.  The chances of 2 drives failing at the same time are pretty slim (unless your system is constantly running hot or is under some other enormous amount of stress).  My guess is it's the controller card for the drives (which, based on the way you're talking, sounds like both drives are directly plugged into the mobo ports, which would then mean your mobo might be having issues and need to be replaced).

Could it be just the one disk that has the OS (C: volume) and some data in the D: volume on it?

No, because you are also getting errors on C:\fs\4, which is your secondary drive.  It's either A) both hard drives, B) your controller card for those hard drives, or C) the data cables for both hard drives.  I'm leaning towards B at this point...

Should I just RMA both disks to be on the safe side (assuming that Western Digital doesn't have any additional troubleshooting steps to narrow things down).

I would test those drives further, but not in your server.  As I said before, first thing I would do is copy whatever you can from both drives by connecting them to a client (one at a time).  Once you retrieved everything you can, then run chkdsk /r on each one.

And when you mention connecting the disks to a client, will Windows 7 or Vista read the drive if I plug it into one of my desktop machines?

As long as your clients' drives are formatted with NTFS, yes.

I'm planning on turning the box back on tonight when I get home from work and simply copying everything over to my desktop machine via the network.

I wouldn't do that, but it's your choice.  (I already told you how I would handle it.)

You mentioned the hard drive controller could be having issues...the hard drives are just plugged into the motherboard so they're using the built-in controller.  There is a newer BIOS revision available for my motherboard.  Should I go ahead and install that?

I wouldn't (at least not yet).  I think you need to narrow down the cause first.  Right now it's too many possibilities.

Would you recommend starting the RMA process for the motherboard too?

Again, not yet.  Run chkdsk /r on the drives first (on a client, not on the server).

I'm hoping that a complete chkdsk /r run on both drives from a client will reveal something.  If not, you might be better off to just RMA everything if you can.

I read about both avast! and F-secure before I purchased NOD32 and read that avast! really spikes the CPU usage making the server nearly unusable during scans and that F-Secure doesn't have the best track record with virus identification.  Have you noticed any of these issues?

Not on avast.  I suppose if you had the bare minimum hardware specs on your server, you might see issues (although that's probably true with pretty much any A/V), but my server definitely doesn't fall into that category.  :)  As for F-Secure, I don't use it so I can't comment on that.

That's what made me choose NOD32 over them.  I just opened a support ticket with ESET about NOD32 to find out what their official stance is on WHS and will report back once I hear from them.

• Marked as answer by EHole Wednesday, August 26, 2009 1:42 AM
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 12:37 AM
  • I took your advice and removed the drives from my server and placed them into my primary computer.  I then saw 3 volumes appear; one labeled "SYS" and two labeled "DATA".  One "DATA" volume had 355gb free of 698gb (I'll call this one A) and the other had 464gb free of 698gb (I'll call this one B).

A has a single folder called "DE".
    B has several folders in it.  One is what looks like a hash, one is called "DE", one called "Folders", and one called "Shares".

I tried copying my data from the "Shares" folder on B to one of the other drives in my computer, which gave me nothing but errors saying that the files couldn't be found.  And, sure enough, when I tried opening one of the files from that folder, it wouldn't open and I entered panic mode.  :)

I then dug into the "DE" folders on A and breathed a sigh of relief after I was able to open the files from there.  I then copied everything from those folders onto another disk in my primary computer.  I have a feeling that some things are missing, though.  There was one particular file that I remember being identified as corrupt and it's not in the "DE" folders.  So I'm guessing that one is a casualty of corruption as are any other files which were corrupted?

There's a tool made by Seagate that I just read about last night called "Seatools".  It works with any hard drive and is a more comprehensive scan than chkdsk.  I ran it on both drives overnight and it didn't detect any errors.  I'll likely go ahead and do another chkdsk run on all 3 of the volumes now, though.

I've also sent a message to Asus technical support to see if they have a way of troubleshooting the southbridge on the motherboard (that's where the disk controller is).  If they can't think of anything, I'll just RMA the board and have them replace it.

Thanks again for walking me through this.  I'll let you know if anything else comes up.
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 4:32 PM
  • Before you try to RMA anything, pull the drives out of your server and recover your data as kariya has suggested. Then, while you have those drives connected to some other computer, run chkdsk /r there. If you don't get any hard errors reported (bad sectors, lots of retries, etc.), it's more suggestive of a controller or cabling problem.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 4:33 PM
  • Thanks Ken.  I've already put the drives into my primary computer and have saved all of the data from the J:\DE\Shares folders onto one of the drives in my computer (thankfully I have a terabyte of storage on my primary machine).

I'll go ahead and run a chkdsk /r and see what happens.
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 5:40 PM
  • Well, chkdsk shows that the drives are ok.  I guess I'll contact Asus and RMA the motherboard.

Thanks for your help Kariya and Ken!

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 1:42 AM