Windows XP Activation Help RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I run a PC repair business and my problem is, I did a windows XP repair to a customers compaq PC(he had corrupted windows files) using a DELL oem Home XP disk(I thought these were the same as the unbranded Home OEM XP you can buy for system rebuilders....I get a 'You must activate this copy with microsoft and please ask a computer administrator to activate' (this is not the common 30 day activation warning)
    And then you cant get into XP!

1.Would this of happened if I used an unbranded OEM Home XP e.g the OEM Edition from microsoft?
    2.What options have I got to sort out the problem?
    3.Is it okay top use the OEM XP from microsoft  for repairing?
    4. I have now bought an Home XP oem to use as my master CD to repair (not install) Windows.
    I was only repairing the main files on his licensed copy he has...so didnt think it would cause this problem....it is not as though I'm installing a pirate copy of windows XP for him....BUT I'm just repairing the licensed copy he has.....what would you have done? 
    Any advice??
    Cheers
    Andy

Friday, June 30, 2006 12:44 PM

Answers

• Ifixpcs,

All I am saying is, that if you read thru hundreds of the posts here, a large percentage are from people who had perfectly legitmate installations of XP overwritten by pirated copies when they took their computer into repair shops for spyware/virus/hardware/etc repair.

There are a lot of untrained techs out there unknowingly (or maybe knowingly) messing things up----I don't want you to be one, too.

Friday, June 30, 2006 3:52 PM

All replies

• The Product Key affixed to a computer that came preinstalled with an OEM version of Windows XP is only valid with the computer manufacturer's recommended restore method, such as restoring Windows XP from a hidden restore partition or using the PC manufacturer's own restore, recovery, or reinstallation CD.  You cannot use a different PC manufacturer's CD to repair a different PC manufacturer's Windows XP installation.

To correct your problem, contact HP/Compaq and order the proper CD.

HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Obtaining a Recovery CD or DVD set http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?product=71013&lang=en&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=bph07143
    Friday, June 30, 2006 1:09 PM
  • What about if it is a Home XP OEM Version(microsofts own make that you sell  for PC builders....dont forget I would only be using this to repair a licensed copy.

He actually had windows 2000 originally BUT upgraded to XP....would his UPGRADE disk(if he can find it) have a repair windows option?

cheers

andy

Friday, June 30, 2006 1:20 PM
  • Sorry...what I mean is what would happen if I used a micosoft home xp oem disk (not the dell disk I originally used) to repair windows....he originally had 2000 and upgraded to XP So compaq restore disks wouldnt work.Does Would His upgrade disk have an option to repair windows?

I'm getting really confused by the whole thing.

Cheers

andy

Friday, June 30, 2006 1:26 PM
  • Also does a windows repair using a Home edition OEM(microsofts brand e.g not a DELL xp oem) alter the customers 'registered to' under 'general' tab,  OR would it not alter this?? I'm just wondering because I will be doing alot of windows repairs and will be using my purchased Home editon OEM to repair customers licensed copys.

thanks you

confused

Andy!

Friday, June 30, 2006 1:50 PM
  • Sorry meant to say alter the customers 'registered to' number, under 'general' in 'system' section of XP
    Friday, June 30, 2006 1:52 PM
  • What im trying to say ...will the customers license remain intact if i use my home edition oem as a master CD for windows repairing (obviously I would use the customers license coa (if asked during installation) for every windows repair I do, and not the one supplied with my purchased copy)

cheers

andy

Friday, June 30, 2006 1:57 PM
  • As far as I know, you can use a generic OEM Windows XP Home CD with any Windows XP OEM Product Key.  This would require phone activation.  Be aware that any remaining support from the original PC manufacturer would cease.
    Friday, June 30, 2006 2:23 PM
  • Okay....spoken to microsoft on the phone...they have told me:
    If the customer has lost his copy of windows (Upgrade, Retail, OEM) you have to purchase a new XP CD and license to do the repair,reinstall etc...In other words you cant have a XP OEM disk you use as a master CD and use the COA sticker on the side of the customers PC and enter this as a license number....apparently it breaks the license agreement!
    Armen
    Over and out
    cheers
    Andy
    Friday, June 30, 2006 2:43 PM
  • Dude,

You need some serious training before you mess up anyone else's installation of XP!

Best place to start learning is right here:  http://www.microsoft.com/oem/default.mspx

Friday, June 30, 2006 3:33 PM
  • Dude,

Actually...I havent messed anything up....and have had plently of training....the problem was that I assumed a dell home oem xp disk would do the same thing as a generic oem xp from microsoft....also I've done tons of successful windows repairs in the past using the customers supplied disk.

The customers files are intact and backed up....you can also access them in safe mode. 

Friday, June 30, 2006 3:46 PM
  • Ifixpcs,

All I am saying is, that if you read thru hundreds of the posts here, a large percentage are from people who had perfectly legitmate installations of XP overwritten by pirated copies when they took their computer into repair shops for spyware/virus/hardware/etc repair.

There are a lot of untrained techs out there unknowingly (or maybe knowingly) messing things up----I don't want you to be one, too.

Friday, June 30, 2006 3:52 PM
  • No thats fine, I took it a bit personally!....all I'm concerend about as  is doing legit installations and obviously that they work afterwards!

Cheers

Andy

Friday, June 30, 2006 5:01 PM
  • Ifixpcs,

Please accept my apologies, I did not intend to slam you personally, and rereading my original post I could have done a much better job of saying what I meant!

Bottom line--if you use the manufacturer-supplied reinstallation/recovery media on big name computers, you can't go wrong, and in many cases you can make extra money by selling the necessary backup service (heck, the Geek Squad gets $79 to back up personal data---you can sell that service too and put the $79 or more in your pocket).

Good Luck!

Friday, June 30, 2006 5:51 PM