Problems with Project Workflow in Project Server 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Regards, We tried that create a simple worflow in Project Server 2010, but we have problems, the workflow doesn't works. We followed a steps registred in this links:

We watched the webast about workflow, but it doesn't works.

We have configured the PDP, the EPT, the Stages and the Phases, even we made a "Deploy" in the PWA, but when we tried to create a new project in the EPT show the next error: "Unable to open the project. The project has not been properly initialized. This may be caused by the workflow associated with the EPT not starting correctly".  And in the project queue show this error:

• Workflow:
      • WorkflowNoWorkflowsDefined (35103). Details: id='35103' name='WorkflowNoWorkflowsDefined' uid='3b269c58-57f1-40ea-8e09-dc3d48a05ccd'.
    • Error:
      • WorkflowCannotStartWorkflow (35100). Details: id='35100' name='WorkflowCannotStartWorkflow' uid='7cd1bd86-860c-49c8-a196-20509165e31e'.
    • Queue:
      • GeneralQueueJobFailed (26000) - WorkflowStartWorkflow.WorkflowStartWorkflowMessage. Details: id='26000' name='GeneralQueueJobFailed' uid='e80eb075-3547-4e57-9a90-69c2503304ff' JobUID='a0b8ac2a-824d-4b72-a7f0-242b95a25333' ComputerName='DEMO2010A' GroupType='WorkflowStartWorkflow' MessageType='WorkflowStartWorkflowMessage' MessageId='1' Stage=''. For more details, check the ULS logs on machine DEMO2010A for entries with JobUID a0b8ac2a-824d-4b72-a7f0-242b95a25333.

We have problems with this and we want to know what can be the error.

I have:

• Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise
    • SQL 2008 R2
    • Sharepoint Server 2010 Enterprise
    • Project Server 2010

We are working in the Microsoft Project Demo Virtual Machine.

Thanks for help.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 10:18 PM

Answers

• Hello MariAngel

Be sure that workflow is enable on the site.  You may have to go into Central Admin, to verify that workflow is enabled.   Also, the site settings for PWA, will show if workflow is enabled.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT

Sincerely, Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA www.WhartonComputer.com
    • Marked as answer by Fafafaalex Tuesday, August 10, 2010 2:18 AM
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 3:21 PM

All replies

• Hello MariAngel

Be sure that workflow is enable on the site.  You may have to go into Central Admin, to verify that workflow is enabled.   Also, the site settings for PWA, will show if workflow is enabled.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT

Sincerely, Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA www.WhartonComputer.com
    • Marked as answer by Fafafaalex Tuesday, August 10, 2010 2:18 AM
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 3:21 PM
  • I have the same problem, my workflow is enabled in Central Admin and in PWA site... please help!!!
    Friday, November 19, 2010 6:23 PM
  • Find the solution?
    Friday, November 19, 2010 6:25 PM
  • Hello to all,

I see that the post was published some time ago - but I just encountered this problem.

Did someone managed to find a solution?

Regards.

Monday, April 18, 2011 10:18 AM
  • The error above relates to no demand management workflow being available on the site, make sur eyou have created a viable Project Server workflow and deployed and activated it within the Project Server PWA site, only then will it be available for selection.

If you are following steps in the video, can you confirm the workflow you created has deployed and activated successfully in the PWA site?

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Monday, April 18, 2011 12:11 PM
  • Hello

I have the same issue. I deploy the workflow .wsp file with stsadm and it's activated at PWA Site Collection Level.

Then, I create the workflow in PWA from http://server_name/pwa/_layouts/WrkSetng.aspx associated to my workflow template and I linked the EPT with this new workflow.

I received this exception when creating a new Project:

Exception Starting Workflow: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.. Trace: at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeConstructor(Object[] args, SignatureStruct& signature, IntPtr declaringType) at System.Reflection.RuntimeConstructorInfo.Invoke(BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture) at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWorkflowManager.LoadPluggableClass(String classname, String assembly, Object[] parameters) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWorkflowManager.GetService(SPWorkflowAssociation association, SPWorkflowEngine engine) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWorkflowManager.RunWorkflowElev(SPWorkflow workflow, Collection`1 events, SPWorkflowRunOptionsInternal runOptions) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWorkflowManager.StartWorkflowElev(Object context, SPWorkflowAssociation association, DateTime elevationTimeUtc, SPWorkflowEvent startEvent, SPWorkflowRunOptions runOptions) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWorkflowManager.<>c__DisplayClass11.<StartWorkflow>b__10(SPSite superUserSite, SPWeb superUserWeb) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWorkflowManager.StartWorkflow(Object context, SPWorkflowAssociation association, SPWorkflowEvent startEvent, SPWorkflowRunOptions runOpts) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWorkflowManager.StartWorkflow(Object context, SPWorkflowAssociation association, String eventData, SPWorkflowRunOptions runOptions) at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.Workflow.<>c__DisplayClass36.<StartWorkflow>b__33() at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.<>c__DisplayClass4.<RunWithElevatedPrivileges>b__2() at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SecurityContext.RunAsProcess(CodeToRunElevated secureCode) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges(WaitCallback secureCode, Object param) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges(CodeToRunElevated secureCode) at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.Workflow.StartWorkflow(Guid projectGuid, Guid enterpriseProjectTypeUid, Boolean isNewProject, Guid previousEntepriseProjectTypeUid, Boolean skipStage, Guid stageToSkipTo):
    WorkflowExceptionStartingWorkflow (35115). Detalles: id='35115' name='WorkflowExceptionStartingWorkflow' uid='351cf07b-0d3f-48a5-a639-f54cc4376ea4'.
    Error:
    WorkflowCannotStartWorkflow (35100). Detalles: id='35100' name='WorkflowCannotStartWorkflow' uid='96b49c76-27ad-46aa-996c-191bc52c7106'.

thanks for your help

Wednesday, June 1, 2011 6:45 AM
  • Hi;

I noticed, that when You rebuild the workflow project and after deploy it into the server, workflow desattaches from the enterprise project. In the consequence You have Your error. To handle it do as follows:

a. select PWA/SITE SETTINGS/WORKFLOW SETTINGS

b. select 'Remove a workflow' - that select a workflow You have problems with and remove it

c. select 'Add a workflow', and from the liest select Your workflow, name it press 'OK'

d. select Project Web APP / Server Settings/Enterprise Project Types

e. Select Your Enterprise Project Type

f. From the list select name of the workflow (list Site Workflow Association)

g. Save the selection.

Regards

Bartosz
    Monday, June 27, 2011 9:20 AM
  • Dear Bartosz,

I already was following these steps in each new deploy. The workflow seems to work fine, i can create different projects and go through the differente stages. Then, without reason, it starts to return the onStartingException and I'm not able to start new workflows or restart the existing ones anymore.

I tried to regenerate the .net counters with Lodctr command but nothing changed.

The environment has one WFE with all the sharepoint applications and a second server providing all the service applications (including Project Server Service Application).

The exception when restarting an existing workflow:

Exception Starting Workflow: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.. Trace: at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeConstructor(Object[] args, SignatureStruct& signature, IntPtr declaringType) at System.Reflection.RuntimeConstructorInfo.Invoke(BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture) at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWorkflowManager.LoadPluggableClass(String classname, String assembly, Object[] parameters) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWorkflowManager.GetService(SPWorkflowAssociation association, SPWorkflowEngine engine) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWorkflowManager.RunWorkflowElev(SPWorkflow workflow, Collection`1 events, SPWorkflowRunOptionsInternal runOptions) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWorkflowManager.StartWorkflowElev(Object context, SPWorkflowAssociation association, DateTime elevationTimeUtc, SPWorkflowEvent startEvent, SPWorkflowRunOptions runOptions) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWorkflowManager.<>c__DisplayClass13.<StartWorkflow>b__12(SPSite superUserSite, SPWeb superUserWeb) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWorkflowManager.StartWorkflow(Object context, SPWorkflowAssociation association, SPWorkflowEvent startEvent, SPWorkflowRunOptions runOpts) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWorkflowManager.StartWorkflow(Object context, SPWorkflowAssociation association, String eventData, SPWorkflowRunOptions runOptions) at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.Workflow.<>c__DisplayClass36.<StartWorkflow>b__33() at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.<>c__DisplayClass4.<RunWithElevatedPrivileges>b__2() at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SecurityContext.RunAsProcess(CodeToRunElevated secureCode) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges(WaitCallback secureCode, Object param) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges(CodeToRunElevated secureCode) at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.Workflow.StartWorkflow(Guid projectGuid, Guid enterpriseProjectTypeUid, Boolean isNewProject, Guid previousEntepriseProjectTypeUid, Boolean skipStage, Guid stageToSkipTo):
    WorkflowExceptionStartingWorkflow (35115). Details: id='35115' name='WorkflowExceptionStartingWorkflow' uid='cd22a038-e7a3-4bfa-8c3f-e0201fe3de67'.
    Error:
    WorkflowCannotChangeWorkflow (35109). Details: id='35109' name='WorkflowCannotChangeWorkflow' uid='3b884f4d-7b07-4d68-8c53-80dfe50d10ac'.
    Queue:
    GeneralQueueJobFailed (26000) - WorkflowChangeWorkflow.WorkflowChangeWorkflowMessage. Details: id='26000' name='GeneralQueueJobFailed' uid='deb31b16-7e66-485a-bc6e-c0c3cac83d96' JobUID='dd7d076d-ae2b-4bee-bfd0-6a326a23a0c1' ComputerName='servername' GroupType='WorkflowChangeWorkflow' MessageType='WorkflowChangeWorkflowMessage' MessageId='1' Stage=''. For more details, check the ULS logs on machine server name for entries with JobUID dd7d076d-ae2b-4bee-bfd0-6a326a23a0c1.

Exception when creating a new workflow:

Exception Starting Workflow: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.. Trace: at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeConstructor(Object[] args, SignatureStruct& signature, IntPtr declaringType) at System.Reflection.RuntimeConstructorInfo.Invoke(BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture) at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWorkflowManager.LoadPluggableClass(String classname, String assembly, Object[] parameters) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWorkflowManager.GetService(SPWorkflowAssociation association, SPWorkflowEngine engine) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWorkflowManager.RunWorkflowElev(SPWorkflow workflow, Collection`1 events, SPWorkflowRunOptionsInternal runOptions) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWorkflowManager.StartWorkflowElev(Object context, SPWorkflowAssociation association, DateTime elevationTimeUtc, SPWorkflowEvent startEvent, SPWorkflowRunOptions runOptions) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWorkflowManager.<>c__DisplayClass13.<StartWorkflow>b__12(SPSite superUserSite, SPWeb superUserWeb) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWorkflowManager.StartWorkflow(Object context, SPWorkflowAssociation association, SPWorkflowEvent startEvent, SPWorkflowRunOptions runOpts) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWorkflowManager.StartWorkflow(Object context, SPWorkflowAssociation association, String eventData, SPWorkflowRunOptions runOptions) at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.Workflow.<>c__DisplayClass36.<StartWorkflow>b__33() at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.<>c__DisplayClass4.<RunWithElevatedPrivileges>b__2() at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SecurityContext.RunAsProcess(CodeToRunElevated secureCode) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges(WaitCallback secureCode, Object param) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges(CodeToRunElevated secureCode) at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.Workflow.StartWorkflow(Guid projectGuid, Guid enterpriseProjectTypeUid, Boolean isNewProject, Guid previousEntepriseProjectTypeUid, Boolean skipStage, Guid stageToSkipTo):
    WorkflowExceptionStartingWorkflow (35115). Details: id='35115' name='WorkflowExceptionStartingWorkflow' uid='34ef53eb-7dfc-4d4d-a257-35a5b6fcff39'.
    Error:
    WorkflowCannotStartWorkflow (35100). Details: id='35100' name='WorkflowCannotStartWorkflow' uid='7e61a02b-3bcc-48c0-922d-3bf8222c55a1'.
    Queue:
    GeneralQueueJobFailed (26000) - WorkflowStartWorkflow.WorkflowStartWorkflowMessage. Details: id='26000' name='GeneralQueueJobFailed' uid='15300fca-e39e-4a34-85d4-0932ad590739' JobUID='891203b4-d61d-4642-a4a6-dd21f95f5d82' ComputerName='servername' GroupType='WorkflowStartWorkflow' MessageType='WorkflowStartWorkflowMessage' MessageId='1' Stage=''. For more details, check the ULS logs on machine servername for entries with JobUID 891203b4-d61d-4642-a4a6-dd21f95f5d82.

Thanks again!

Monday, July 18, 2011 5:18 PM
  • Hi Jesus,

I am getting error same as above for all workflows (out of the box + custom) for starting the workflows.

Did you get any solution for above error for starting of worflows?

Thanks

Prasad

Saturday, September 3, 2011 2:42 PM
  • no solution yet.

I could check that after this exception and 10 min. later the workflow is started properly.

It seems a kind of performance issue but I didn't found any plausible reason yet.

Friday, September 16, 2011 8:24 AM
  • Jesus;

I assume You wrote a workflow in VS2010. Can You send me a code at dimmi5@interia.pl? I can review it in my spare time.

Regards

bp

Bartosz
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 9:37 AM
  • I was experiencing the same issues and found my answer in the event log on the server running PSI.

Microsoft.Office.Project.Server (0x1F40) 0x08F8 SharePoint Foundation          Workflow Infrastructure        frg9 Medium   Workflow could not be run because SPWebApplication.UpdateWorkflowConfigurationSettings was not previously called, and the Web Application service has been disabled on this server.  Call UpdateWorkflowConfigurationSettings or turn on the Web Application service for this server.

If you are running Project Server in a farm environment, then doublecheck Central Administration > System Settings > Manage Services on Server. Change the server to the server running Project Server and then start the Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Web Application service. Once I started that and tried creating a new project the process worked almost instanteously.

Cheers!

• Proposed as answer by Ramesh Jalla Thursday, January 5, 2012 6:58 PM
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 4:57 PM
  • Thanks ,

Your suggestion helped. When I did the redployment the Workflow is detached in the EPT. When I set the Workflow to the EPT and saved, it worked.

Thanks,

Ram

Thursday, October 18, 2012 7:31 AM
  • Hi;

I noticed, that when You rebuild the workflow project and after deploy it into the server, workflow desattaches from the enterprise project. In the consequence You have Your error. To handle it do as follows:

a. select PWA/SITE SETTINGS/WORKFLOW SETTINGS

b. select 'Remove a workflow' - that select a workflow You have problems with and remove it

c. select 'Add a workflow', and from the liest select Your workflow, name it press 'OK'

d. select Project Web APP / Server Settings/Enterprise Project Types

e. Select Your Enterprise Project Type

f. From the list select name of the workflow (list Site Workflow Association)

g. Save the selection.

Regards

Bartosz
    it really help me, especially the "steps E"
    Tuesday, February 21, 2017 10:27 AM