none
A problem about communication between SORA and laptop

Question

• Hi everyone,

I use my Intel WiFi link 1000 BGN to communicate with SORA, and here are some questions.

1) When I built up an ad hoc network named 'sdr', can I just simply send data using iperf on my laptop? I asked because it doesn't work. SORA didn't receive anything......

2) Can a 802.11g signal be received and decoded properly by SORA? What parameters should I set on the rx end in order to make that come true? 

I tried to set SORA at Channel 3 and received nothing. Is there any important step which I didn't take?

I'm very appreciate to anyone who answer me, thanks a lot!

Bruce

Thursday, July 28, 2011 9:17 AM

Answers

• Do you use Intel WiFi link to send broadcast frames or unicast frames? Try to send broadcast frames first to make sure SORA could receive broadcast frames.
    One possible reason is that the ARP is not received so there will be no packets sent out.

SORA supports both 802.11b and g. You should modify the sdr.inf to specify which mode SORA works.

Which channel do you use? SORA use channel by default. If your Intel WiFi link does not work on channel 3, SORA may receive nothing. You can try to set the channel of SORA from 1 to 11 to verify which channel does the Intel WiFi link use. Another way is you can dump the raw samples and see if there are signals transmitted out using some graphic tools. If you have spectrum analyzer tool (like WiFi Spy), you can view the spectrum to see if Intel WiFi really transmitted signals out and which channel it uses.

Danial.F
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 5:12 PM

All replies

• Do you use Intel WiFi link to send broadcast frames or unicast frames? Try to send broadcast frames first to make sure SORA could receive broadcast frames.
    One possible reason is that the ARP is not received so there will be no packets sent out.

SORA supports both 802.11b and g. You should modify the sdr.inf to specify which mode SORA works.

Which channel do you use? SORA use channel by default. If your Intel WiFi link does not work on channel 3, SORA may receive nothing. You can try to set the channel of SORA from 1 to 11 to verify which channel does the Intel WiFi link use. Another way is you can dump the raw samples and see if there are signals transmitted out using some graphic tools. If you have spectrum analyzer tool (like WiFi Spy), you can view the spectrum to see if Intel WiFi really transmitted signals out and which channel it uses.

Danial.F
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 5:12 PM
  • Hi Danial:

Thanks a lot. I'll try your method and see if there is any other question.

Bruce

Monday, August 1, 2011 5:32 AM
  • Hi Danial,

By using "netsh", I found out that my Intel WiFi link is using Channel 11. Then I set the rx end to Channel 11 (Central Freq = 2542, is it right?)

Then I use iperf on my laptop to send broadcast signal data and finally, SORA received something.

But the received data was very sparse and cannot be demodulate. I tried to change the rxgain and rxpa, but the situation didn't become better.

Wish your help again.

Bruce
    Monday, August 1, 2011 8:16 AM
  • Hi Bruce,

Glad to hear you have made progress.

The central frequency of channel 11 is 2462. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

Can you change the PHY rate of your WiFi card? Try to broadcast using 6Mbps (BPSK, 1/2 CC) first.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11a-1999

Danial.F
    Monday, August 1, 2011 4:19 PM
  • I must choose one forum when i try to post questions to this forum ,but i cannot find MSR Software Radio Academic Kit,why?

And i cannot post my questions~~

Monday, August 22, 2011 2:29 AM