none
SyncToy creating duplicate folders in Thunderbird

Question

• I've been using SyncToy 2.1 for some time to sync between a Vista desktop and an XP netbook.  Apart from being very slow when there are many folders/files (eg, in Thunderbird), it has generally worked fine.

However, in the last run, SyncToy created duplicate folders with .1, .2 appended to the folder names, eg, Inbox.1 and Inbox.2 have appeared and the contents are identical with the contents of Inbox.  In other cases, the folder name has been duplicated without addition, so I have 2 folders with exactly the same name (which I didn't think could happen). 

The only unusual thing is that I twice had to stop the SyncToy run before it finished (because it was taking too long) and then I ran it again later.  Could that have caused the duplicate folders?

How do I best fix this?  Delete all the duplicate folders and recreate the folder pair?

The next 2 questions are Thunderbird-specific, but I'll ask them here as SyncToy has caused the problem.  How do I locate all the duplicated folders (there appear to be many of them)?  How do I delete duplicated default folders (eg, Inbox.1, Sent.1) when Thunderbird will not let me delete default folders?

Grateful for any advice -- thank you.

Lindsay Graham, Canberra, Australia

Thursday, March 14, 2013 11:41 AM