No Reply All RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello,

Running Windows 7 64 bit with Office 2007.

Just downloaded NoReplyAll and installed it. It runs just fine, as soon as I installed the exchange served account it went active.

I have one additional request, Under options, tab for NoReplyAll there is a radio button that enables or disables the Reply All and Forward buttons on the ribbon. I can find no radio button that does the same for the Reply button on the ribbon. Is there a simple way for that to be added here in the field? I am a elected official and under the Open Meetings Act this utility is useful by stopping violations by way of the habit of clicking the buttons. There is just enough security to add that extra step to remind one not to engage in meetings off the record but not enough security to prohibit the free use of e-mail for information use. Great utility if it had radio buttons to disable all three features.  

Thursday, March 28, 2013 2:19 AM

All replies

• It can be done with a bit of registry twiddling (at this point I should give the usual warning about how one can break things horribly by incorrectly modifying the registry, yada yada). I never thought that anyone would want this, so I didn't include the checkbox.

The forward and reply-all checkboxes do nothing more than set values in the registry, in the HKCU\Software\Microsoft Research Ltd\NoReplyAddin key - for example, if you check the reply-all button, and then examine that key, you'll see a value "Reply to All" in there with the value 1; if you uncheck it, and refresh RegEdit, you'll see a 0. It so happens that the missing reply checkbox would set/reset a value called "Reply" in the same place. The quickest way to disable reply, then, is check the reply-all box, then use RegEdit to rename "Reply to All" to just "Reply" such that it'll be picked up by the bit of the code which creates email, etc. To turn it off (ie, to re-enable replying) either delete the value, or change it from 1 to 0.

Having said that, I'm a bit unclear about what you're seeking to achieve: if you want no replies, the usual technique is to change the reply-to address in your email to some ignored address that just swallows returned emails (you're bound to have seen emails with "from" addresses like donotreply@somewhere.com. That has the advantage that it doesn't require that everyone is specifically using desktop Outlook as their email client and that all users are on the same Exchange farm.

And please do bear in mind that this add-in is extremely poor protection against email misuse: it's a very low hurdle for someone to overcome - eg, all you need to do is create a new message and copy & paste the contents of the original into it, and then you can do whatever you want. If you want reliably protection, you probably ought to be looking at things like Exchange's IRM mechanisms.

Thursday, March 28, 2013 7:11 AM