Restoring Files stored on Share RRS feed

• Question

• I accidentally deleted some files stored on the "Videos" share.  The file names are still showing in the folder on the share but when I try to view them I can't and when I try to copy them and then paste them into a local folder, nothing happens.  How can I correct this? 
    Friday, December 26, 2008 2:56 PM

Answers

• With duplication on, on a server with only two drives, you should also find your files under D:\DE\Shares\etc. Depending on exactly what you were doing with the files that were lost you may be able to retrieve them from this location. I would recommend copying any files you find there to another location (perhaps a different share, accessed through \\server\<sharename> rather than direct filesystem access) then using the utility I linked above to remove the "tombstones" in your shares.

As an aside, an end user should never access the administrative shares on any computer for purposes of file manipulation.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, December 26, 2008 5:26 PM

All replies

• When you say "accidentally deleted", what exactly do you mean? How did you delete the files?
    Friday, December 26, 2008 3:13 PM
  • I mapped a drive to C$ of the WHS (from a computer that did not have the Connector software installed), browsed to \fs\4\DE\Shares\Videos, cut the contents of the folder and pasted the files into a folder local to the computer where the drive was mapped from.  I lost the local contents from having too many things going on at one time.  Now, the files are not there when browsing to the folder mentioned above but they do show up when browsing from a computer that has the connector software installed and I use the "Shared Folders" icon.
    Friday, December 26, 2008 4:17 PM
  • You should never access the drives in your home server directly in that fashion. WHS is designed to function correctly only when you access files through shares created via the console.

You can try the WHSCleanup tool that another forum user wrote to see if you can get rid of the files that you've damaged.
    Friday, December 26, 2008 4:34 PM
  • Hi,
    did you have folder duplication enabled for the share with the videos? With some luck the videos may still be in the same place on another of the disks under C:\FS then.
    If not and if it are only a few files, a way could be to create text files with the same name of the lost files in the original location and try to delete them through the share after.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, December 26, 2008 4:41 PM
  • Folder duplication is on for this share but I do not see anything other than the 1 drive, 4.  under \fs\4\DE\ there is a "Shares" folder and a "Folders" folder.  Under the "Folders" folder, there are 3 folders that look like they have GUID names.  Under one of those is another folder called "Shares" and under that is a partial duplication of the folder structure under \fs\4\DE\Shares.  I found some of the missing Video files I was looking for, how can I get them to show up under the \fs\4\DE\Shares folder?
    Friday, December 26, 2008 5:09 PM
  • With duplication on, on a server with only two drives, you should also find your files under D:\DE\Shares\etc. Depending on exactly what you were doing with the files that were lost you may be able to retrieve them from this location. I would recommend copying any files you find there to another location (perhaps a different share, accessed through \\server\<sharename> rather than direct filesystem access) then using the utility I linked above to remove the "tombstones" in your shares.

As an aside, an end user should never access the administrative shares on any computer for purposes of file manipulation.
    Friday, December 26, 2008 5:26 PM