Why is the live.com so slow in indexing? RRS feed

• Question

• We have submitted our sitemap URLs thru the webmaster.live.com. We have over 400,000 URLs in news.oneindia.in but just 1,900 URLs have been indexed by live.com

I don't see any error messages in webmaster.live.com for news.oneindia.in. Is this normal? Do we need to take any corrective action to have most of our pages indexed?

regards,

BG Mahesh
    Tuesday, December 18, 2007 3:23 AM

Answers

• Adding the sitemap will help.  There are lots of reasons some sites get more coverage than others.   Looking at your site there is lots of content.  MSNBot crawls billions of web pages, not every page is indexed. For a site to be indexed, it must meet specific standards for content, design, and technical implementation. For example, if your site’s link structure doesn't have links to each page on your site, MSNBot may not find all the pages on your site.

Ensure that your site follows our indexing guidelines. These guidelines will help you place important content in searchable elements of the page. Also, make sure that your site doesn't violate any of the technical guidelines that can prevent site ranking. For more information about site ranking in web search results, see About website ranking.

Jeremiah

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 4:57 AM

All replies

• Adding the sitemap will help.  There are lots of reasons some sites get more coverage than others.   Looking at your site there is lots of content.  MSNBot crawls billions of web pages, not every page is indexed. For a site to be indexed, it must meet specific standards for content, design, and technical implementation. For example, if your site’s link structure doesn't have links to each page on your site, MSNBot may not find all the pages on your site.

Ensure that your site follows our indexing guidelines. These guidelines will help you place important content in searchable elements of the page. Also, make sure that your site doesn't violate any of the technical guidelines that can prevent site ranking. For more information about site ranking in web search results, see About website ranking.

Jeremiah

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 4:57 AM
  •  

Yes, we have submitted sitemaps.

Our site link struture has a link to all pages but why is MSNBot trying to crawl and find the pages on our site? All URLs are in sitemap, shouldn't MSNBot be indexing the URLs included in the sitemap? I agree with you that if a URL is not in sitemap and is not reachable thru any links, then it is unfair to expect live.com to index such a URL. But the ones that are in sitemap, I think it should index them (atleast over a reasonable period of time)

I have gone thru ranking. And I agree that it is a completely different issue when it comes to showing up in the results page of live.com. For now I am worried about indexing, next I would want it to come on results also :-) (greedy me!)

I do appreciate Microsoft folks directly responding to user's questions. This is a good sign.

regards,

Mahesh

Thursday, December 20, 2007 5:28 AM