70-536 Training Kit - the crappiest book ever RRS feed

• Question

• I bought Microsoft Training Kit for the 70-536 exam (1st version). I have a serious problem because the book is full of errors.

I found the errata on MSDN http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923018 and, much to my dismay, almost every second page contains an error! I am serously terrified. What do you advise me, continue to read the book or abandon it? I need to pass this exam but I am afraid that it is impossible with this book.

I will write the authors of the book (Tony Northrup, Shawn Wildermuth and Bill Ryan) to alarm people, DON'T BUY ANY BOOK written by one of these people.

Monday, March 14, 2011 8:43 AM

Answers

• http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923018

@link:

thanks for sharing!

if that's the case find another resource for the 70-536 exam.

i use Programming in Visual Basic .NET 2003 by: Francesco Balena "Core Reference" 

why 2003? is because of the similarities on the topics for 70-536.

-=johnjl=-
    • Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Thursday, March 31, 2011 2:08 AM
    Monday, March 14, 2011 9:01 AM
  • Hi Alex,

The 2nd Edition has been out for a few years, and has the errors corrected.

I however used the 1st edition to pass and found the practice tests and book very helpful.

There are a lot of small errors, which is a shame, but most are obvious when you read the book.

General Tony Northrup is one of the better authors, despite the errors apart from the 2nd edition this is the best book in my opinion to pass 70-536 with.

Good Luck,

Ozzy Geoff

• Proposed as answer by Geoff Clark MCM Monday, March 14, 2011 9:47 PM
    Monday, March 14, 2011 9:23 AM
  • Just to contribute a little to this thread:

The 2nd edition is a quite usefull book. I used it to prepare for the exam. So I wouldn't say, that books of these authors shouldn't be bought. The book is good way to prepare for the exam in my eyes.

And I would not use any book regarding Visual Studio 2003. There are enough books available for Visual Studio 2008 and 2010 so there is no need at all to stick to such an old book. And stuff simply changes! Visual Studio 2003 was .Net 1.1 if I remember correctly! So no TraceSources and such stuff. So you simply miss important topics of the 70-536 exam!

And I totaly agree with Ozzy: The books are not that expensive and I want these books in the future, too. So I will not help with any copyright violations, too and it would be great if all people would respect the copyright. (So hopefully more authors will spend time on writing books so we get a lot more of the missing Self-Paced Training Kit books!)

With kiund regards,

Konrad

Monday, March 14, 2011 11:55 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923018

@link:

thanks for sharing!

if that's the case find another resource for the 70-536 exam.

i use Programming in Visual Basic .NET 2003 by: Francesco Balena "Core Reference" 

why 2003? is because of the similarities on the topics for 70-536.

-=johnjl=-
    Monday, March 14, 2011 9:01 AM
  • Hi Alex,

The 2nd Edition has been out for a few years, and has the errors corrected.

I however used the 1st edition to pass and found the practice tests and book very helpful.

There are a lot of small errors, which is a shame, but most are obvious when you read the book.

General Tony Northrup is one of the better authors, despite the errors apart from the 2nd edition this is the best book in my opinion to pass 70-536 with.

Good Luck,

Ozzy Geoff

Monday, March 14, 2011 9:23 AM
  • @Ozzy:

Sir! you have a link on the Second Edition of MCTS: 70-536 written by: Tony Northrup?

where i can download i need it too for additional resource on 70-536 exam papers.

-=johnjl=-
    Monday, March 14, 2011 9:36 AM
  • Sorry, I appreciate these books are costly but I do not break copyright.
    Monday, March 14, 2011 10:43 AM
  • Just to contribute a little to this thread:

The 2nd edition is a quite usefull book. I used it to prepare for the exam. So I wouldn't say, that books of these authors shouldn't be bought. The book is good way to prepare for the exam in my eyes.

And I would not use any book regarding Visual Studio 2003. There are enough books available for Visual Studio 2008 and 2010 so there is no need at all to stick to such an old book. And stuff simply changes! Visual Studio 2003 was .Net 1.1 if I remember correctly! So no TraceSources and such stuff. So you simply miss important topics of the 70-536 exam!

And I totaly agree with Ozzy: The books are not that expensive and I want these books in the future, too. So I will not help with any copyright violations, too and it would be great if all people would respect the copyright. (So hopefully more authors will spend time on writing books so we get a lot more of the missing Self-Paced Training Kit books!)

With kiund regards,

Konrad

Monday, March 14, 2011 11:55 AM
    Answerer