WHS server wouldn't reboot, now can't repair installation or retrieve data RRS feed

• Question

• I have an OEM installation on an old Dell Dimension 8300 with 2 x 2TB Hitachi SATA disks.  Installation was working very well for about 6 months (I've been preaching WHS to all my mates!) until a few weeks ago, when clients stopped being able to access shares.

Turned out machine wouldn't boot, saying it was missing a system file. I booted from the installation DVD but didn't get an opportunity to reinstall, so aborted, but somehow it seemed to fix the problem and it carried on OK for a couple of weeks.  I should have taken it as a warning and backed up my data again.

Clients lost access again this weekend.  This time I seemed to have an option to reinstall, but it kept on failing to mount the drives or prepare them amongst other problems.  Last attempt I got a 'catastrophic failure' trying to recreate a system partition.  The only option Setup would then give me was a new installation.  At that point I set about trying to get the data off the shares by installing each of the drives in a Windows 7 machine.  Disk 0 can be seen as having 1.2TB free of 1.86TB in My Computer but when I double click on the drive it says there are no files.  Disk 1 can be seen but says it needs formatting.  Back in the WHS box, Disk 0 shows it has a 20GB Raw volume, Disk 1 shows it has a 1863GB NTFS volume.

Has anyone got any thoughts on why I can't access the data from the Windows 7 machine, or any suggestions on how to recover the WHS install to see the data as network shares again?

Thanks

Mike

Monday, May 24, 2010 12:05 AM

All replies

• Hi Mike,

Sorry that I don't have an answer, but I'm also having the same problem. The WHS os will not load. No error messages but just simply keeps restarting. Hopefully someone can help. This is frustrating.

Ty

Monday, May 24, 2010 1:49 AM
  • I have an OEM installation on an old Dell Dimension 8300 with 2 x 2TB Hitachi SATA disks.  Installation was working very well for about 6 months (I've been preaching WHS to all my mates!) until a few weeks ago, when clients stopped being able to access shares.

Turned out machine wouldn't boot, saying it was missing a system file. I booted from the installation DVD but didn't get an opportunity to reinstall, so aborted, but somehow it seemed to fix the problem and it carried on OK for a couple of weeks.  I should have taken it as a warning and backed up my data again.

Clients lost access again this weekend.  This time I seemed to have an option to reinstall, but it kept on failing to mount the drives or prepare them amongst other problems.  Last attempt I got a 'catastrophic failure' trying to recreate a system partition.  The only option Setup would then give me was a new installation.  At that point I set about trying to get the data off the shares by installing each of the drives in a Windows 7 machine.  Disk 0 can be seen as having 1.2TB free of 1.86TB in My Computer but when I double click on the drive it says there are no files.  Disk 1 can be seen but says it needs formatting.  Back in the WHS box, Disk 0 shows it has a 20GB Raw volume, Disk 1 shows it has a 1863GB NTFS volume.

Has anyone got any thoughts on why I can't access the data from the Windows 7 machine, or any suggestions on how to recover the WHS install to see the data as network shares again?

Thanks

Mike

It sounds to me like one (or more) hard drives are failing/have failed.  You could start by removing each drive from your server, connecting each one to a client, and running chkdsk /r on each drive.  However, that probably won't help the drive that has the 20 GB RAW volume (which is the primary drive).  If the other partition on that drive also shows up as RAW, you'll probably have to try some sort of data recovery on it (either a professional service or a DIY application).  (If the other partition is still readable, I wouldn't worry about data recovery on the 20 GB partition as the only files there are OS files.)
    Sunday, May 30, 2010 3:09 PM
  • Thanks Kariya21.

I read elsewhere that all the shares are in a hidden folder and have now managed to recover them from one of the disks to a portable hard disk - big relief!

I then downloaded a diagnostic/repair utiltiy from the HDD manufacturer and determined that one of the HDDs had failed so ordered another one.  Diagnostics now run OK on both discks but when I go to do a complete reinstall from either the genuine WHS installation disk or a home-burned DVD-RW that both worded for my initial trial installation and first official install I get a setup error "Copying files failed: Data error (cyclic redundancy check). (error code 0x80070017)"  I have tried wiping the disks using the HDD utility and installing onto either disk as system disk without success.  Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks

Mike

Thursday, June 3, 2010 10:03 PM