Help With Constant Hacking RRS feed

• Question

• I just swictched to Windows OneCare to hopefully protect my computer.  I have been hacked approximately 8 times over the course of a year. On most of these occasions i have had to do a complete PC Restore to get my computer to work again, therefore loosing all my files and folders (I have them on backup discs of course.) I believe i know who is doing this to me and believe I am specifically being targeted. I have been running Norton 360 on all of my computers - but this program has done nothing to prevent the invasion. When i am attacked the hacker is able to run any program on my computer and readily deletes files. (Including all my system restore points.) I am looking for anyadvice regarding this situation - for example how is he accessing my computers, how can he run programs and delete files, most importantly how can i identify the hacker, who should i report him to and how can i get this to stop.

Thanks In advance for any info you can give -

Siouxsieq
    Saturday, June 28, 2008 7:30 AM

Answers

• I'm sorry to read that you have had computer problems for some time now. Quite honestly, I don't know that I can suspect a "hacker" unless that individual has physical access to your PC in order to make changes to allow them to have remote access at another time. While I don't care for Norton 360, it provides protection from unsolicited entrance to the PC from outside. In order to bypass this protection (and the protection afforded by OneCare) someone would need to be able to disable certain protections and enable ports, protocols and allow programs to connect. So, if the person has access to your PCs - in person - you need to prevent that access by making sure that your User password for Windows is strong and never leave the PC open and unattended.
    -steve
    Monday, June 30, 2008 2:46 PM