normalization craziness... RRS feed

• Question

•  

Not sure really how to ask this, but I've set up some normalization rules on our OCS server and things were working pretty well up until the other day when an employee tried to dial a long distance number (within the same area code).  I had a rule which, if someone dialed 1-123-xxx-xxxx (assume 123 is the local area code here) that OCS would strip off the 1-123.  I removed that rule so if someone does indeed dial the full area code 123 plus the 1, OCS will just pass it through.  THat fixed dialing long distance (from within the 123 area code).  However, all of our outlook contacts have normalized numbers with area codes (i.e. +1 123 555-1212).  So now when you right click on a contact and say call, I get a communicator error:

An error occurred during the call. More details (ID:403)

Office Communicator 2007 Error ID: 403

Details

Details
    Product: Office Communicator 2007
    Version: 2.0
    Source: Office Communicator Client
    ID: 403

Explanation

Phone identity is not authorized - associated user entity not found in the database.

Cause

The possible causes for this error message are as follows:

• Your user account is misconfigured on the Office Communications Server and you have attempted to make a call or join a conference. You are not allowed to do this operation on the server side.

Resolution

Contact your system administrator with this information: Error ID:403 - Forbidden.

----------------------------------------

So, do I need to find all of the local NPA prefixes in our local area code and set up rules for each of them that basically says if the user dials 1-123-NPA-xxxx to strip off the 1-123, otherwise pass the entire area code plus 1?

We added normalized Outlook contacts so we'd have caller-id info (previously the pop up from communicator on an incoming call would just show the incoming number).

Thanks for any advice...

Thursday, July 31, 2008 4:53 PM

All replies

• Short answer is yes. You will need to setup normalizations rules and routes for what ever your PSTN or PBX trunk is expecting to see. Depending on your gateway some of this may occur there to allow for E164 number formating. Like you example states you want to remove the 11234 for local area codes for what ever reason this can be possibly done at your gateway after passing through the mediation server in standard E164 format or in OCS.

Since you are normalising in the Address Book though you will need is a route to accomadate any number that is already normalised. eg you can create a route that matches the pattern:

^\+1(123|987)(\d{7})$

Then at your gateway you can remove the +1123 or +1987 prefix. If you wish to remove the prefix before you will have to create a normalization rule to do that.So

match

^\+1(123\d*)$

remove 5 digits for example and then create a route that matches that pattern.

My best advice for you is to get the route helper tool available with the resource kit. It will help with this and all sorts of route issues.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b9bf4f71-fb0b-4de9-962f-c56b70a8aecd&DisplayLang=en

Let me know if that helps at all.Sorry if I did a poor job explaining it.

Cheers

Chris

Thursday, July 31, 2008 9:10 PM
  •  

Chris,

Thanks for the info.  I already have been using the Route Helper Tool - quite a lifesaver in itself.  I think I understand.  Currently we had been doing all the translation/normalization on the OCS server and the router just basically passes what it receives in or out.  It sounds like there would be some good reasons to move some rules to the router (we are using a Cisco 2811) instead of having them all on the OCS server.

I'll do some checking....

Thanks,

Jared

Friday, August 1, 2008 1:28 PM
  • Hi Jared,

Here is an example of a translation profile you can use for the 2811. We have a similar setup as you and use these types of rules to change whats coming out of OCS.

voice translation-rule 101
     rule 1 /^\+1123\(.......\)/ /\1/
     rule 2 /^\+1206\(.......\)/ /\1/
     rule 3 /^\+1360\(.......\)/ /\1/
      rule 4 /^\+1253\(.......\)/ /\1/

!
    voice translation-profile 101
     translate called 101
    !

Also depending on how new your IOS code (later than 12.4(9t)) is it may automatically remove the + sign for you and you translation rules would look more like this.

voice translation-rule 101
     rule 1 /^\1123\(.......\)/ /\1/
     rule 2 /^\1206\(.......\)/ /\1/
     rule 3 /^\1360\(.......\)/ /\1/
      rule 4 /^\1253\(.......\)/ /\1/

Good luck.

Cheers

Chris

Friday, August 1, 2008 2:19 PM
  • What about if we haven't set up the phone system to work with OCS yet.  Right now, we've only setup VOIP, but some people are getting this exact error every once in a while.  Not everyone is getting this error.
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 12:28 AM
  • VoIPNorm/Chris is giving pretty good advice above.

In general your life will be tremendously better if you keep all normalization rules inside OCS normalizing to E.164/RFC3966 compliant numbers.

OCS is designed with the plan that the local PSTN gateway/PBX will be used to make the modifications required for whatever the local telephony environment requires.

Normalization in OCS is location dependant, but routing in OCS is global, meaning that unless you have a very simple telephony network (single mediation server, for all PSTN calls, for instance), normalizing to anything *other* than globally unique numbers is going to quickly become more complex than it is worth.

-Duncan
    Duncan Blake, Enterprise Voice Architect, Unify2
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 3:36 AM
  • Also, I meant to ask, which error are you getting sometimes with your internal only Voice calls? The 
    Office Communicator 2007 Error ID: 403 Forbidden?

If your users are not enabled for Voice, they may get this error. Or if they try to make a call for which there is a route for which they are not authorised. Without more information, it's hard to say what the cause is.

Duncan Blake, Enterprise Voice Architect, Unify2
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 6:29 AM
  • Yes, we're getting the Communicator 2007 Error ID: 403 Forbidden error.

We have not yet setup mediation server or any link to the PBX/PSTN - we're only using Communicator for PC-PC phone and video at this time.

We've enabled Enterprise Voice (without enabling PBX Integration) for all users because some of our users are using the Polycom CX-200 phones - when Enterprise Voice was disabled, the presence didn't work.
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 4:05 PM