Windows 7 Professional x86_64 DreamSpark in VM: "The product key you typed cannot be used to activate Windows on this computer" RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am a student and have the Win7 Pro x86_64 ISO and a license for it through DreamSpark. I had it running in VirtualBox and it was working until due to external factors, the VM became corrupted. I deleted the old corrupt VM and made a new one. After installation of Win 7 in the VM, I went into Control Panel and chose to start Windows Activation just to make sure it had been properly activated.

Windows Activation told me: "The product key you typed cannot be used to activate Windows on this computer."

I found this strange since this is referring to the key I typed during install and I assume that if I'd made a typo it would have been rejected during install. I retyped the key anyway just to rule out any typos on my part. The result remained the same, "the product key you typed cannot be used to activate Windows on this computer."

Looking at the error details, here's what it says:

The following information was found for this error:

Code: 0xC004C008

Description: The activation server determined that the specified product key could not be used.

Please help me, I need this VM to run software which we are using at the university.

Regards, Erik

Tuesday, March 1, 2016 11:39 PM

Answers

• I learned that phone activation was necessary and have now activated my copy of Windows by using that.

No assistance required. Feel free to close/lock this thread.

• Edited by en90 Tuesday, March 1, 2016 11:55 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Wednesday, March 2, 2016 9:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by en90 Wednesday, March 2, 2016 5:36 PM
    Tuesday, March 1, 2016 11:55 PM