WHS 2011 backup after migration to ssd for Windows 10 client RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

I have upgraded my laptop with ssd and I have couple question.

1.I tried to restore a full backup from WHS, but it looks like 450MB recovery partition was restored empty. Has anybody experienced the same?
        2.So I used other software to clone the drive. After that I got message that I need adjust backup drives setting in WHS dashboard. I see that some drives are offline. I unchecked those and included the new ones. Is there a way to cleanup the offline drive?
        3.It seems that W10 does not report amount of free space for 450MB recovery partition in Disk Management console, but MIniTools does and I can explorer that partition with MiniTools. Has anybody experienced the same?

Thanks
    Saturday, November 28, 2015 8:36 PM

All replies

• Hi LeoG71,

I had the same Problem already with Windows 8 Systems. The reason is the new partitioning mode GPT, which WHS 2011 doesn´t know in ist original Version.

You should install the Hotfix from KB 2781272 on your WHS 2011, which will solve your Problem. This works also with Windows 10 Clients. After installing Windows 10 1511 I lost the backup configurations of the Windows 10 Clients. I think the reason is the assignment of new SID during upgrade. The solution for this is to deinstall WHS 2011 Connector Software and then reinstall it using HTTP://<homeserver>/connect. Now everything works great again.

Enjoy!

Monday, November 30, 2015 8:05 AM
  • Hi

Thanks for your answers. KB 2781272 is for fixing backups with EUFI configured systems, but I installed it anyway. Mine is MBR. I did uninstall and re-installed Connector client, but I still had to uncheck drives that are shown as offline.

Any other ideas? Is there a way for offline disk to not show up in backup setup?

Thanks

Monday, November 30, 2015 3:41 PM
  • Hi,

Make sure that WHS has the latest Windows Update installed.

Besides, try to attach the drive to another working Windows PC:
    1. Open Disk Manager, make note of the partition sizes.
    2. Delete the partitions.
    3. Recreate the partitions, same sizes and without drive letter.
    4. Then, Restore from a backup.

If the problem persists, please post the screenshot about the offline drives.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 2:28 AM
  • I don't think you have read my questions. I don't have problem restoring backups from WHS 2011. I'm having issues with new GUIDs assigned to new drive volumes as well as after restore recovery partition in windows manager.
    Tuesday, December 15, 2015 2:40 PM