none
Any way to search within old backups for particular file? RRS feed

• Question

• I have months of backups for 6 home computers. On one (or two) of them, I used to keep a particular file, which I deleted a few months ago. Can't remember the exact date it appeared, or was deleted, or the exact name, but i know some words likely to be in the file name and other words likely to be in the file's contents. It was either a text file or a word doc. So is there any way to go search my entire set of all backups for "files with "stuff or stuff" in the filename" OR "files with "morestuff" in the file body"?  Or do I have to restore each backup and let Windows Search index it, then do my search? Thanks in advance for your time!

Saturday, November 13, 2010 2:36 PM

Answers

• Search? No, there's no ability to search within backups. If you know where the file was, you can always open a random backup and see if it's there, but that's about the limit of what's available.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, November 13, 2010 2:55 PM

All replies

• Search? No, there's no ability to search within backups. If you know where the file was, you can always open a random backup and see if it's there, but that's about the limit of what's available.
    Saturday, November 13, 2010 2:55 PM
  • Thanks. I noticed the disk on which I backup the WHS shares seems uncompressed. I'm going to pull it out of it's external esata cradle, put it on a Windows 7 computer, and tell Windows to go index it... I'll let you know if that works (for Those Who Come After..)

I've had WHS about two years now, have been visiting this forum whenever I've had questions, and I certainly have appreciated your many comments and tips in this forum, and have learned plenty!

Friday, November 19, 2010 6:40 AM
  • Thanks. I noticed the disk on which I backup the WHS shares seems uncompressed. I'm going to pull it out of it's external esata cradle, put it on a Windows 7 computer, and tell Windows to go index it... I'll let you know if that works (for Those Who Come After..)

I've had WHS about two years now, have been visiting this forum whenever I've had questions, and I certainly have appreciated your many comments and tips in this forum, and have learned plenty!

Umm, server backups don't include the backup database. Unless you're using a tool like BDBB to back the database up, you will only have the contents of your shares. And even if you do have the backup database on external storage, you still won't be able to search it. It's just a series of large (4 GB) files with binary data inside.
    Friday, November 19, 2010 2:08 PM