Folder replication status information? RRS feed

• Question

• If I have a folder which is not replicated and I turn replication on, obviously it is going to take some time for the folder to be duplicated.  I did exactly this and right away the server status was healthy when clearly it couldn't be replicated yet.  Is there some place to see an indication that replication is completely synched up or not?

As a test on an evaluation machine I was copying a directory tree to the server, and while it was copying I changed the property for that share to not replicated (I wanted to see if the copy would speed up on the slow machine).  Then after the copy was complete I turned replication on, but the "Duplication Info" addon that I install still claimed some of the files were only on one drive and that didn't seem to change and drive activity dropped to idle.  Is there some periodic replication check which would have caught this and fixed it?  To try to fix this I again turned replication off on the folder, then turned it back on again and that seemed to fix the issue - "Duplication Info" now claims all files are replicated.  Is it required to ensure no folder activity is taking place when you change the replication yes/no setting?
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 3:43 AM

Answers

• If I have a folder which is not replicated and I turn replication on, obviously it is going to take some time for the folder to be duplicated.  I did exactly this and right away the server status was healthy when clearly it couldn't be replicated yet.  Is there some place to see an indication that replication is completely synched up or not?

The Console shows when it last "balanced" (which is actually the last time it checked to make sure everything was as it's supposed to be).

As a test on an evaluation machine I was copying a directory tree to the server, and while it was copying I changed the property for that share to not replicated (I wanted to see if the copy would speed up on the slow machine).  Then after the copy was complete I turned replication on, but the "Duplication Info" addon that I install still claimed some of the files were only on one drive and that didn't seem to change and drive activity dropped to idle.

It only balances once per hour, when you enable/disable Folder Duplication on a share, or when you reboot the server.  I suspect the fact that you disabled and enabled during a copy process somehow jammed it up.  If you had waited until the next pass (one hour later), it probably would have corrected itself.

Is there some periodic replication check which would have caught this and fixed it?  To try to fix this I again turned replication off on the folder, then turned it back on again and that seemed to fix the issue - "Duplication Info" now claims all files are replicated.  Is it required to ensure no folder activity is taking place when you change the replication yes/no setting?

• Marked as answer by Steve Prior Tuesday, December 1, 2009 4:18 AM
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 4:07 AM

All replies

The Console shows when it last "balanced" (which is actually the last time it checked to make sure everything was as it's supposed to be).

As a test on an evaluation machine I was copying a directory tree to the server, and while it was copying I changed the property for that share to not replicated (I wanted to see if the copy would speed up on the slow machine).  Then after the copy was complete I turned replication on, but the "Duplication Info" addon that I install still claimed some of the files were only on one drive and that didn't seem to change and drive activity dropped to idle.

It only balances once per hour, when you enable/disable Folder Duplication on a share, or when you reboot the server.  I suspect the fact that you disabled and enabled during a copy process somehow jammed it up.  If you had waited until the next pass (one hour later), it probably would have corrected itself.

Is there some periodic replication check which would have caught this and fixed it?  To try to fix this I again turned replication off on the folder, then turned it back on again and that seemed to fix the issue - "Duplication Info" now claims all files are replicated.  Is it required to ensure no folder activity is taking place when you change the replication yes/no setting?

• Marked as answer by Steve Prior Tuesday, December 1, 2009 4:18 AM
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 4:07 AM
  • The Console shows when it last "balanced" (which is actually the last time it checked to make sure everything was as it's supposed to be).

I was wondering what "balancing" was.  I still kinda think that when something happens that invalidates the folder replication (like turning it on for a folder) there should be some health warning about that until the process completes - after all you're not as protected for that time as you'd like to be.

That's why I'm trying to do such horrible things to my evaluation server before I install the HP EX495 which should arrive tomorrow and get loaded with data I actually care about.

Thanks for the info.
    Steve
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 4:18 AM
  • Health warnings because replication hasn't had a chance to "do it's thing"? No, I don't think that's a good idea. Things that you wouldn't want to have trigger a health warning that suddenly would:
    • Copying/moving a file to your server; the new file isn't duplicated until Drive Extender's next pass.
    • Editing a file on your server.
    • Potentially, deleting a file from your server.
    For a lot of somewhat technical information about Windows Home Server, take a look at the Windows Home Server microsite, and especially the Support page on that site.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 11:58 AM