Shrinking Windows RRS feed

• Question

• Ok this is an odd one I haven't heard of before.

I just installed Live Mesh on my XP SP3 system yesterday and I started getting some odd behaviors from normal windows explorer windows.

Some how they would randomly start horizontally resizing themselves a pixel at a time until it was just the Title bar showing. If I dragged them back open they would start the shrinking again. I then closed Mesh and some time later it happened again. So I disabled my windows theme and rebooted.  This seems to have worked for the better part of today.

But now every time I connect to my home computer using the Live Mesh remote desktop as soon as it connects the Remote Desktop windows starts shrinking the same way. While the windows are shrinking I can move them around (with some delay) but can't click the close or system menus.  The taskbar context menu behaves properly so I can close them that way.  Once they are done shrinking the window is again responsive.

My nVidia drivers are up to date and windows is fully patched.

So that's my weird issue. Anyone have an Idea of where to start looking?
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 9:32 PM

Answers

• This problem was on the machine I was connecting FROM. It was only my one work PC. 

I have since figured this out. I was running an unofficial windows theme (Vistamizer) and suspected it had changed system files that mesh needed. I did a complete uninstall of this theme and put my good ol' Zune theme back on and am having no problems. 
    • Marked as answer by Wimzy Thursday, February 18, 2010 2:07 PM
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 2:07 PM

All replies

• I've played with this a bit more and the Remote Desktop session does connect and if I hit the Show full Screen arrow on the little tab it does open and work correctly.
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 9:55 PM
  • Is the problem only on the machine that you are connecting to via Remote Desktop? I'm not clear on which machine you see this on an when.
    It most certainly sounds like a display driver issue.
    -steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Friday, February 5, 2010 1:11 PM
  • This problem was on the machine I was connecting FROM. It was only my one work PC. 

I have since figured this out. I was running an unofficial windows theme (Vistamizer) and suspected it had changed system files that mesh needed. I did a complete uninstall of this theme and put my good ol' Zune theme back on and am having no problems. 
    • Marked as answer by Wimzy Thursday, February 18, 2010 2:07 PM
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 2:07 PM
  • Thanks for sharing your findings. Glad to read that you resolved it!
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 5:56 PM