Backup function fails in automatic or manual for clients RRS feed

• Question

• The backup functions fails for both of my clients. I get error message 1147. This happens after I installed OEM software--I had been using evaluation copy previously, and it worked flawlessly.Backup for Home Server drive continues to perform. I am not a whiz at this stuff, so pls keep the tech jargon to a minimal. Thanks.
    Friday, June 5, 2009 3:23 PM

Answers

• Could be some problem with with your server installation. Did you install all updates?
    What version is WHS reporting (you can check through the WHS console, settings, recsources, version information).
    It should say Power Pack 2, version 6.0.2030.0?

-Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    • Marked as answer by palavering Saturday, June 6, 2009 11:32 AM
    Friday, June 5, 2009 8:02 PM

All replies

• Could be some problem with with your server installation. Did you install all updates?
    What version is WHS reporting (you can check through the WHS console, settings, recsources, version information).
    It should say Power Pack 2, version 6.0.2030.0?

-Theo.

• Marked as answer by palavering Saturday, June 6, 2009 11:32 AM
    Friday, June 5, 2009 8:02 PM
  • I resolved the problem before rec'ving your answer, Theo.  But I am grateful, nonetheless.  Of course, you were right on target.  I was running the eval copy of WHS, before I did my install with the OEM.  I should have known that a clean install was necessary.  The clean install went well; the only driver I had to install was for my onboard Nvidia network adapter.  (I was confused when I noticed that the network icon shows only local access, when in fact it is connected to the Internet, too.)  So, I have two internal (RAID) HDDs, and three USB external drives, for a total of 2.3 TBs.

I also learned the reason for using a large HDD as a primary drive.  Not only does this drive hold the OS, but much data is written initially to it for disemmination to my other drives.  Smaller primary drives, as I understand it, are much slower in doing the job.

Again, Theo, thanks for your reply.  I purchased Windows Home Server Unleashed, and I read three hundred pages yesterday.

Gratefully,
    Bill 
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 11:32 AM
  • I resolved the problem before rec'ving your answer, Theo.  But I am grateful, nonetheless.  Of course, you were right on target.  I was running the eval copy of WHS, before I did my install with the OEM.  I should have known that a clean install was necessary.  The clean install went well; the only driver I had to install was for my onboard Nvidia network adapter.  (I was confused when I noticed that the network icon shows only local access, when in fact it is connected to the Internet, too.)  So, I have two internal (RAID) HDDs, and three USB external drives, for a total of 2.3 TBs.

FYI, RAID is unsupported on WHS.

I also learned the reason for using a large HDD as a primary drive.  Not only does this drive hold the OS, but much data is written initially to it for disemmination to my other drives.  Smaller primary drives, as I understand it, are much slower in doing the job.

That's not true any more.  Power Pack 1 changed all of that.

Again, Theo, thanks for your reply.  I purchased Windows Home Server Unleashed, and I read three hundred pages yesterday.

Gratefully,
    Bill 

Saturday, June 6, 2009 3:12 PM
  • Theo: I am reading the book that I mentioned in my last post.  Of course, it is two-years-old, and improvements have, no doubt, occurred.  Moreover, you fail to mention how the drive situation has changed with the advent of PP1.  It would be nice to learn this little tidbit of information, Theo.

By the way, I have to give the same book a four-star rating.  Most of its 800-plus pages are still relevant---and very helpful.  Moreover, it is written with the consumer in mind; that is, very little computer jargon, and lots of wit, humor, and intelligence.

Again, I iterate that this forum is essential to good "serving," and I thank everyone for their replies.

Bill
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 8:20 PM
  • Theo: I am reading the book that I mentioned in my last post.  Of course, it is two-years-old, and improvements have, no doubt, occurred.  Moreover, you fail to mention how the drive situation has changed with the advent of PP1.  It would be nice to learn this little tidbit of information, Theo.

First off, I'm not Theo. :)  The data now goes straight to a secondary drive (and creates only a tombstone on the primary drive).  And after you install Power Pack 2, the "landing zone" is completely obsolete (because WHS will now inform the clients of the total free space available, instead of just the free space on the primary drive).

By the way, I have to give the same book a four-star rating.  Most of its 800-plus pages are still relevant---and very helpful.  Moreover, it is written with the consumer in mind; that is, very little computer jargon, and lots of wit, humor, and intelligence.

Again, I iterate that this forum is essential to good "serving," and I thank everyone for their replies.

Bill

Saturday, June 6, 2009 8:49 PM

Actually it was Kariya that added the remark on PP1. But I will be happy to comment on it ;-)
    With PP1 the DriveExtender logic was changed in a way that it no longer makes use of the so called "landing zone" on the system disk. For a Pre-PP1 WHS the largest file that could be copyed to WHS was limitted to the free space on the system disk as the initial copy would land there. Based on this behaviour it was recommended to use a the largest disk available as the system drive.

With PP1 this was changed: files are now copied directly to one of the disks in te storage pool.
    PP2 introduced a change in the way free space on the WHS shares is reported preventing Windows Vista clients to copy large files under certain conditions.

For more details on changes since RTM I can recommend the Windows Home Server Release Documentation on PP1 as wel as the latest version of the Technical brief on Drive Extender. Of coarse more information in general can be found at the Windows Home Server Support page.

- Theo.

Saturday, June 6, 2009 8:57 PM