Liking the Beta, Have a Few ? RRS feed

• Question

• I managed to get vail working on my humble AMD FX55 test PC.  From what I can see, vail is doing everything I want.  I even have it streaming media files to a Western Digital Media player in the kids room. After the initial install, I ripped out the video card and now have the server sitting in corner doing its thing.  Controlling the sever via dashboard and remote desktop is working great.

Here's my question, I've noticed when backing up files from my gaming rig, the server CPU maxes out.  I assume this is part of the archival process. I believe this is also slowing the transfer rate between my gaming rig and server.  Am I correct in assuming this?

Also, what benifit would I see upgrading to a quad core setup?  WHS make good use of multi core processors?

As is, backups take quite a while even though I'm running a 1Gbps lan. Raw transfers between my gaming rig and server average about 50 MBps.  Backups slow down to about 1/5 of that speed.  I'm guessing the cpu is my week link at the moment as it struggling to deal with all the incoming data during the archival process.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks,

Keith

Friday, May 21, 2010 9:04 PM

All replies

• I'm surprised it's taking up that much CPU. Maybe its calculating the parity info on the fly.
    I really doubt multi cores would help, as its pretty much a sequential process. Can backups be done in parallel? Then that would be an interesting prospect

Friday, May 21, 2010 9:34 PM
  • There have been reports on the forums with other people experiencing the same slow speeds when transferring files from computer to vail but I have not noticed this all. Keep in mind that even though you run a gb lan the receiving HD on your server may not be able to keep up with the data rate that is being pushed in so that could be the bottleneck right there. I noticed this because I have a raptor running the system and when i was moving files it was maxing out at 98MB/s but after i filled that up and it went to my 5400rpm drives the transfer dropped quite  abit and i expected this. As for the slow backups, I have not really paid attention to this because I have it set to backup when I am asleep and it always done by the time I am awake.
    Friday, May 21, 2010 9:45 PM
  • Regular file transfers are, in my experience, roughly as fast with Vail as with V1. I agree, however, that backups seem a bit slower. I would assume that's because of extra debug code that Microsoft has said will be removed in a later milestone.

You will probably not see a lot of improvement in day to day function with a quad core system.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, May 22, 2010 12:35 PM
  • ... Can backups be done in parallel? ...

No, like V1 backups are done sequentially. There's some code in Vail to prefer backing up a machine that hasn't been backed up recently, rather than the completely random backup start times that V1 uses, and there's also some code to back up a machine that hasn't been on the network in a while immediately when you boot it on your network, but otherwise backup is much like V1.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, May 22, 2010 12:37 PM
  • Well I've done more test and switched a few drives around.  Swapped out the older data drive in my gaming rig for a faster one, I transfered a 4Gig file between my gaming rig(with newer data drive) and vail PC (same drive used for network backups) and got a sustained transfer rate of 90MBps.  That nearly maxes out my 1Gbps lan.  Very happy with that considering the drives I was swaping the file to and from are stand alone drives. I'm sure drives in RAID 0 would easily max out my lan.

Having said that, for the heck of it I decided I'd do a restore test.  I wanted to populate my new data drive from a backup I have on my vail pc, about 450Gb worth of data.  I'm seeing transfer speeds of 700- 900KBps, painfully slow.  Exact same drives are being used as my transfer test. Same drives that easily sustained 90MBps data rate earlier doing simple file swapping test.

I ended up canceling the restore as it was taking way to long. Checking resource on the data pc and vail pc, everything looked fine, hardly any cpu cycles were being used.  I've got nothing else running on either PC.  Both were freshly started.  I haven't messed around with any vail setting either, everything is at default.

Have I stumbled onto an issue?  I believe my hardware is up to snuff.  I'm open to suggestions.

Getting a little concerned.

Keith

Saturday, May 22, 2010 1:25 PM