Error trying to click on icon from client to WHS 2011 Server RRS feed

• Question

• I am at a loss -

I have setup the Windows Server 2011, installed Connecter on client pc, and confirmed all access is set to Read/Write on Local security through server management, and Dashboard but still get the following issues:

- Cannot open the server through Windows Explorer on client, I get the 0x80070035 error.

- Cannot open the specified folder through the dashboard as the administrator through dashboard on the server as the admin user, gives the "may not have rights" error

- Cannot open "Shared Folders" on Launchpad as I get "request cannot be completed" error.

*Here is the interesting thing - I have no issues when going through <a href="http://.homeserver.com">http://<homeservername>.homeserver.com as everything shows up there and I can see all the content.

Hardware in terms of hardrive space is 160Gb that has programs/os on it, and it split that drive during install but I deleted the second partition and joined it back with the main becuase I added a 2TB Seagate Berracuda hard drive to it so I figured that would plenty of needed space.

I thought it was due to needed to be added to homegroup so I could see it as a computer, well that worked for a little bit until I updated the sharepoint services to sharepoint foundation 2010, Microsoft Team Foundation Server 2010 client. So I removed it from homegroup due to the issues there not working anymore.

I had the issues with sharepoint foundation taking over the port 80 that the WHS 2011 connector was sending through so I shut it off for now and turned the default website back on through that port.

*Another interesting thing is when I go through the dashboard it says I don't have a valid harddrive for a backup location so I haven't completed that step.

So going everwhich direction with access, user ID to computer name as ID as user, using dashboard for rights, and then server management for rights to shares/folders what am I missing that I can't get access to the server?

I have the 2TB drive as the F: drive and there I have the shared folders I wan't to connect to.

What can I do to resolve these issues:

1. Connect to the servers content through client windows explorer (pc icon with servers name)

2. hard drive not showing for a sufficient drive for backing up on.

---- updated - added below 9/4/2012 - 11:10am central ----------------------------

Additional factors:

- This is not showing to be computer specific as I have been working with both a laptop and a desktop and they act the same as explained above.

- No differences between a computer I installed the WHS 2011 connector on vs no connector installed as they got the same results.

Do I need to remove the 2TB drive and have it added through the dashboard to process the needed setup for backup drive and then add content back to it so then I can get the full and complete backup step done for connection to shared drives on Server?

I'll try anything and thought I have tried everything except reinstall WHS 2011 back on the machine and I'm not really willing to do that only becuase to get SQL opened as a server and TFS/Sharepoint setup took 36 hours of fixing/research between setup and firewall blocks.

Please tell me something I'm missing?

• Edited by M.Edmison Tuesday, September 4, 2012 4:17 PM Get more direct to what has been attempted/changed/applied.
    Tuesday, September 4, 2012 1:31 PM

Answers

• If I have read correctly, you said you have deleted the default D drive which is the location for the WHS default shares, and added the space back to C drive. You need D drive. This also explains your backup error. By default the client backups are stored on D. This means you have deleted the location where WHS wants to create its default shares.

Shares can be moved off D drive to another drive, if required, from within the dashboard.

When you created the shares on F drive did you do this via the dashboard or via the OS.

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home

• Marked as answer by M.Edmison Thursday, September 6, 2012 12:48 PM
    Wednesday, September 5, 2012 11:52 PM

All replies

• Still unclear from your description - where did you install SharePoint Foundation - on client or on server?

If on server, this will have messed up with Internet Information Server (if you did not use a separate site for this, i.e. port 8080 instead of port 80) and therefore with core WHS functionality.

For share access: If you logon to your server desktop as Administrator, click Start/Run and enter \\servername (replaced with the name of your server), is a connection coming up, listing the shares etc? Does Dashboard come up if launched from desktop?

From the result if this we could see, if this is a server based problem or if it is some misconfiguration on the client (firewall, toolbar, wrong browser, name resolution in the network, mismatch of time/date/time zone between server and client etc).

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 10:36 AM
  • Installed SHarePoint Foundation 2010 on the server.

I have the Sharepoint Server site shut off so I can get the WHS Connector to work - that I figured out with the port 80 is overriden by Sharepoint.

I get the access/server path error when I do the \\<servername> option (I do change servername to the correct servername as it shows in explorer)

However I did shut off both firewalls on client and server, no luck.

Questions still pending:

- this isn't an issue becuase I don't have the backup step completed correct?

- Why do I get the 0x80070035 error from client when I try to click on that computer icon for the server in Windows Explorer/Network - server shows on right with other networked computers?

- Shouldn't I see the shares in there instead of getting that error?

- What are things I can try or confirm to resolve this issue?

• Edited by M.Edmison Wednesday, September 5, 2012 2:25 PM
    Wednesday, September 5, 2012 2:16 PM
  • what happens if you access a share directly (i.e. \\servername\fotos - may be you have to adjust this to your existing share names).

The user account on the Client is Password protected?

Does it have any kind of Security Software installed, which may interfer, i.e. Symantec Internet Security?

Sorry for the typos, but the Windows 8 spell correction is just annoying me by autocorrecting English text with German rules.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 8:02 PM
  • from client - I get invalid path

I have not problems getting there on server or online.

Just can't do a intranet connection to the server. (i.e. showing contents through windows explorer)

Not sure if I mentioned this but I get "Cannot process request" error when trying to view shared folders through launch pad.

Its almost like I have no access opened up on server to view as a user, but I'm not sure how to turn that on if there is a way outside of dashboard or users/groups in server manager.

Something I did notice is I setup access to user ID's but I don't get prompted to enter in a user ID or password trying to view through exporer I just get the 0x80070035 error above.

Is there a process I need to complete to allow users to view shares through explorer in a machine style instead of a user ID style?

I am really starting to dislike WHS 2011, thought it would have the ease of use assigned to it like Win7 since that is the GUI side of it with a 2008 R2 backend. Maybe they used vista which explains the issues I'm having.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 8:20 PM
  • I get the 0x80070035 error trying to go through windows explorer.

Is there a setup process to allow access to a machine instead of user?

I get not ID/PW request when trying to open up server through windows explorer, should I?

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 8:22 PM
  • If I have read correctly, you said you have deleted the default D drive which is the location for the WHS default shares, and added the space back to C drive. You need D drive. This also explains your backup error. By default the client backups are stored on D. This means you have deleted the location where WHS wants to create its default shares.

Shares can be moved off D drive to another drive, if required, from within the dashboard.

When you created the shares on F drive did you do this via the dashboard or via the OS.

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home

• Marked as answer by M.Edmison Thursday, September 6, 2012 12:48 PM
    Wednesday, September 5, 2012 11:52 PM
  • That explains a lot of the issue if that is true which it very well could be, but I did do a reimage and everything works but the shared folders are on E so it might be the second primary partition as I have 2 hard drives 1 C 160 Gb split to 2 80 Gb's = C and E this time. Last time it was C and D.

I have a 2 TB hard drive which I thought was labeled D this time but is now not showing becuase it got set as the backup drive so it now houses all of the backups for both the servers and any pc's that get backed up.

I got the correct amount of ram that this computer was supposed to have which is 4GB from the incorrect 2GB and I got the "Cannot find BOOTMGR, Press CTRL + ALT + DELETE to restart" so I just did a new image.

I had all of my content on another computer anyways, so I'll just have to watch it when I put all of my development software back on that I don't override any ports/options already set in place as I know sharepoint will try to override the only port for WHS.

Marking issue as resolved.

Thanks for everyones help.

Thursday, September 6, 2012 12:48 PM