can't reset windows live ID password as link is to old email

• Hi there,

I got my son has a new Xbox for birthday as his old one is faulty and he has transferred his data from his old to new console. But he has auto sign in set on the old console. His old console is 5 years old and his windows ID is his old inactive email from the initial installation. He can still use his data on the old 360 cause the console’s set on auto sign in but it’s old and faulty, hence the new one. On the new Xbox he needs to sign in but we now realize he has forgotten his password. We simply need to reset the password. But the links keep sending us to his old email not to an active one. All we need is a link to an active email or to be able to change his email to the active one then reset the password.

I have two active emails plus a hotmail address I also have my own windows live account that is linked to my son’s windows live account.

My son’s active email is a hot mail address and he has a windows live account associated to this so it should be easy to verify this and to reset his password  via any one of these emails not the mattymuck one.

We have use the link to reset password but it goes to the old email. There is nowhere on the support pages to enter an active email address. Been trying to do this for over a week tried emailing/calling support etc. Etc. but they keep sending link to old email. I asked support on live chat and they gave us a link to the forum but no one is answering us.

There is no straight forward way to ask for help.

He has hundreds of pounds worth of games, downloads, Microsoft points etc saved and can’t get access to it on the new Xbox. This is wrong and if I can’t sort this shortly I will complain officially.

Can anyone help?

Thanks Anne

Monday, April 09, 2012 11:27 AM

All replies

• I'm having this SAME issue. It's ridiculous!  I go through the Support option and they just send me an email link to the how to reset your password which goes back to the OLD email address!

Thursday, April 26, 2012 3:24 PM
  • ME TOO!!!!!! Its so stupid i have talked to everyone about this.

Sunday, April 29, 2012 6:14 PM
  • I had the same problem and someone answered my forum question with this reply but I only tried it today and I'm not entirely sure that it worked:

To remove the alternate email address from your account even without access to it, please follow the procedure provided below:

1. Sign in here using your Windows Live ID and password.
    2. Locate the Account Security section, and then click Manage beside Security Info.
    3. Click Delete after Alternate email address.
    4. Click Mark them all for removal to continue.
    5. Click Mark for removal.

Please understand that once password reset information has been marked for removal, you’ll have to wait for 30 days for it to be removed. If you have more than 1 password reset information in your account, you’ll have to wait for 6 months for all information to be removed.

Friday, May 04, 2012 11:56 AM