Identifyng individual HDDs in WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to replace one HDD inside my WHS (I don't just want to add the new drive, since I'm trying to build as silent a box as possible).

The problem is, of the four drives currently serving inside my WHS, all four are exactly the same; when I go into the WHS Console's Server Storage tab, they are all four therefore listed as "ST31000340AS," and all have the same capacities.  There's no way for me to tell which is which!  I already tried looking at the motherboard's SATA connectors to see if the numbers of the SATA slots coincide with the listed positions of the HDDs in WHS Console's Server Storage tab.  They don't.

I guess I could shut down the WHS, unplug one of the drives, power WHS back up, and look in WHS Console's Server Storage tab to see which HDD is being reported as faulty or missing...but I can't help but fear that doing so would somehow lead to a loss of data.  (The remaining capacity of the other HDDs would be able to make up for the loss, and without doing anything else, I would then power down WHS, reattach that HDD, power WHS back up and then remove that HDD formally using the tool in WHS Console's Server Storage tab.)

Is that the only way?  Does anyone know of any other means of HDD identification in this situation?
    Friday, January 9, 2009 8:02 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    that is a difficult task.
    Maybe you wish to install the Add-In WHS Disk Management, which gives details about the disks, especially also the serial number (double click the disk to see this detail information), which is printed outside on the disk usually as well.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by MasonStorm Saturday, January 10, 2009 12:58 AM
    Friday, January 9, 2009 9:58 PM
  • It is perfectly safe to disconnect a drive from your server. Files on that drive that aren't participating in duplication will be inaccessible, and you'll get network health warnings, but it won't hurt the server. With a home-built server that's really your only option other than the add-in Olaf has pointed you toward.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, January 9, 2009 10:05 PM
  • I just went through a similar situation. The "Disk Management" add-in comes in very handy because it tells you which drive is which by channel (Disk 0, Disk 1, Disk 2, Disk 3). I use a SATA II PCI card in my server, and each channel was labelled on the card (Disk 1, Disk 2, Disk 3, Disk 4 in my case). I just identified which drive was which that way. Most mobos are labeled in a similar fashion.
    Friday, January 9, 2009 10:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    that is a difficult task.
    Maybe you wish to install the Add-In WHS Disk Management, which gives details about the disks, especially also the serial number (double click the disk to see this detail information), which is printed outside on the disk usually as well.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, January 9, 2009 9:58 PM
  • It is perfectly safe to disconnect a drive from your server. Files on that drive that aren't participating in duplication will be inaccessible, and you'll get network health warnings, but it won't hurt the server. With a home-built server that's really your only option other than the add-in Olaf has pointed you toward.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, January 9, 2009 10:05 PM
  • I just went through a similar situation. The "Disk Management" add-in comes in very handy because it tells you which drive is which by channel (Disk 0, Disk 1, Disk 2, Disk 3). I use a SATA II PCI card in my server, and each channel was labelled on the card (Disk 1, Disk 2, Disk 3, Disk 4 in my case). I just identified which drive was which that way. Most mobos are labeled in a similar fashion.
    Friday, January 9, 2009 10:57 PM
  • Thank you all!  I'll try the solutions you offered, and mark this thread as answered now.  Happy New Year!
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 12:57 AM