Sync center in Vista after WHS install RRS feed

• Question

• When I installed the WHS connector, an icon named "Sync Center" appeared in the notification area of my taskbar.  Can anyone shed some light on this? It seems not to be set to do anything, but why did it appear and how can I use it or turn it off?   I would really like to sync some of the shared folders to my vista machine for access when I'm not at home.

Thanks.
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 7:26 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    The Sync Centre is a part of Vista, not WHS and is usually used by people who want to sync a laptop and desktop for example.

Not too sure why you would want to sync from the server to your Client, as you will already have access to your shared folders if you have set up your remote access corectly. However, you could use it to do as you suggest.

Colin
    If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 8:31 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    The Sync Centre is a part of Vista, not WHS and is usually used by people who want to sync a laptop and desktop for example.

Not too sure why you would want to sync from the server to your Client, as you will already have access to your shared folders if you have set up your remote access corectly. However, you could use it to do as you suggest.

Colin
    If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 8:31 PM
  • Colin,
       Thanks. Yes, I know Sync Center  is part of Vista. However, I've never seen or used that until the icon appeared in the taskbar after I installed the connector. Or perhaps after I copied the first batch of files (photos)  from my own computer to WHS.

If I am not at home, and not able ot connect to a network, how do I  to set up remote access so that I can have access to files on the server? I'd love to do that.

Also, this is part of my scheme to get online backup for my folders on WHS. If I copy and sync them to a desktop machine at home, then I can use an online backup service to backup the files offsite so that al lmy backups are not contained on WHS and can thus be lost if someone burgles my home and steal the server or if a fire burns my house down.
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 10:10 PM