Preparation for .NET certification RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, Guys. I have been working with .net technology for about 2 years now and I have master degree in IT as well. The thing is that all the jobs that I have done are pretty much project based and required timely solution to them. Therefore I rarely had enough time to go through all the theory parts of .net framework and so forth. I am now considering to get a certification and believe that the MCPD may be a good way to start. It will require 70-536, 70-562 and 70-564 for ASP.NET Web Developer Stream. I just want to ask if I am going to buy some kind of self training kits to study, and contribute about 15 hours per week after work to it, how long time later I will be able to sit the first exam, say 70-536? Thanks very much and look forward to your reply.
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 4:53 AM

Answers

• Hey,

I just passed my 70-536 yesterday... I had studied properly for the exam - by that I mean that I studied the entire "70-536 Self paced kit" @ 3 hrs per day... It took me around 2 months to be in a position to sit for the exam.

HOWEVER... Some of my friends who have cleared this exam studied primarily from the brain dumps available on the net... It takes lesser time(a month or so) and you might eve n be able to clear rhe exam that way too... but u end up with a lot less knowledge as compared to when you study from a proper course book which covers each topic to the required level of detail... You will, in all probability, not be able to get away with it fully. I say this because you have mentioned that you want to give 70-562 after 70-536... There are certain topics eg globalization, etc that are covered in the 70-536 exam which will certainly be used or referred to in the 70-562 exam. Now if u had not studied that topic properly for 70-536, u will have to do so when u study for 70-562. I hope you get the picture i am trying to project here...

But still, realistically speaking, one always has some constraints or deadlines. If you are facing a challenging time frame in which to do all your certifications, you may go for brain dumps, etc.... That approach is a bit risky ...that all....
    • Proposed as answer by Ravi Shrivastava Friday, July 3, 2009 9:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Friday, January 8, 2010 8:27 PM
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 10:28 AM
  • A. There are several important pieces of information on the score report:
    Your scaled score and pass/fail status: All Microsoft Certified Professional exams are scaled so that a passing score is 700. Any score of 700 or greater is a "pass." Any score below 700 is a "fail." Different passing scores do not reflect different levels of examinee knowledge.

Because of the way Microsoft sets the cut score, we cannot guarantee that an examinee who scores 900 is more knowledgeable in the exam's topic area than an examinee who scores 800. We can only say that both examinees are at least minimally qualified. The same is true for failing scores. An examinee who scores 400 is not necessarily less knowledgeable in the exam's topic area than an examinee who scores 600. In this case, both examinees fail to meet the minimum qualifications for the certification. This is why your exam scores do not appear on your transcript.

Your section scores: The bars on the score report show your relative performance in the various subject areas covered by the exam--the longer the bar, the stronger your performance in that area. The length of the bars does not correspond to the number of questions you answered correctly on that subject. Additionally, because the subject areas contain varying numbers of items, the length of any bar or combination of bars does not correspond directly to your overall exam score or Pass/Fail status

Rubel Khan - My Blog: http://rubelkhan.wordpress.com
    • Proposed as answer by Rubel Khan Wednesday, July 1, 2009 1:31 AM
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 1:31 AM
  • How long this will take you to finish these three exams will depend totally on you. Depends on how much study you do every week. Two TS level exams  may be easier for you to pass but the PD level will be little difficult. You should have real life work experience to ace this PD Level exam.

Hard work may overcome anything so study hard.

Good Luck

Rubel Khan - My Blog: http://rubelkhan.wordpress.com/
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 1:16 PM

All replies

• Hey,

I just passed my 70-536 yesterday... I had studied properly for the exam - by that I mean that I studied the entire "70-536 Self paced kit" @ 3 hrs per day... It took me around 2 months to be in a position to sit for the exam.

HOWEVER... Some of my friends who have cleared this exam studied primarily from the brain dumps available on the net... It takes lesser time(a month or so) and you might eve n be able to clear rhe exam that way too... but u end up with a lot less knowledge as compared to when you study from a proper course book which covers each topic to the required level of detail... You will, in all probability, not be able to get away with it fully. I say this because you have mentioned that you want to give 70-562 after 70-536... There are certain topics eg globalization, etc that are covered in the 70-536 exam which will certainly be used or referred to in the 70-562 exam. Now if u had not studied that topic properly for 70-536, u will have to do so when u study for 70-562. I hope you get the picture i am trying to project here...

But still, realistically speaking, one always has some constraints or deadlines. If you are facing a challenging time frame in which to do all your certifications, you may go for brain dumps, etc.... That approach is a bit risky ...that all....
    • Proposed as answer by Ravi Shrivastava Friday, July 3, 2009 9:01 AM
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 10:28 AM
  • How long this will take you to finish these three exams will depend totally on you. Depends on how much study you do every week. Two TS level exams  may be easier for you to pass but the PD level will be little difficult. You should have real life work experience to ace this PD Level exam.

Hard work may overcome anything so study hard.

Good Luck

Rubel Khan - My Blog: http://rubelkhan.wordpress.com/
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 1:16 PM
  • Hi guys, thanks for your reply, your input is much appreciated and helped me a lot. So now I have a rough idea how long it will take me to prepare. Just a another question: what is the passing point for passing the exam (60% or something)?
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 10:28 PM
  • A. There are several important pieces of information on the score report:
    Your scaled score and pass/fail status: All Microsoft Certified Professional exams are scaled so that a passing score is 700. Any score of 700 or greater is a "pass." Any score below 700 is a "fail." Different passing scores do not reflect different levels of examinee knowledge.

Because of the way Microsoft sets the cut score, we cannot guarantee that an examinee who scores 900 is more knowledgeable in the exam's topic area than an examinee who scores 800. We can only say that both examinees are at least minimally qualified. The same is true for failing scores. An examinee who scores 400 is not necessarily less knowledgeable in the exam's topic area than an examinee who scores 600. In this case, both examinees fail to meet the minimum qualifications for the certification. This is why your exam scores do not appear on your transcript.

Your section scores: The bars on the score report show your relative performance in the various subject areas covered by the exam--the longer the bar, the stronger your performance in that area. The length of the bars does not correspond to the number of questions you answered correctly on that subject. Additionally, because the subject areas contain varying numbers of items, the length of any bar or combination of bars does not correspond directly to your overall exam score or Pass/Fail status

Rubel Khan - My Blog: http://rubelkhan.wordpress.com
    • Proposed as answer by Rubel Khan Wednesday, July 1, 2009 1:31 AM
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 1:31 AM
  • thanks very much mate, appreciated.
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 1:59 AM