Moving folders on a sync'd desktop RRS feed

• Question

• I am syncing my pictures to a desktop, but the folder is on the desktop. I cannot figure out how to move the folder (I moved it once through the properties, location process when had the 2nd machine as a co-owner of the folder and it started deleting everything!).

How can I move a folder. I dont want the syncd folder on my desktop, I want it on 1TB F drive.

Any idea? Thanks 
    Friday, November 28, 2008 9:43 AM

Answers

• Unfortunately you can't currently move a synced folder to a different location. That said you can try the following:

1. Remove the folder from the mesh (the files will stay)
    2. Move the folder to wherever you want it to go
    3. Resync the folder from the mesh, but when it asks you which folder to sync to specify the existing folder

Live Mesh should then merge the two folders, and theoretically see that the contents are the same and not resync everything. That said though from what I understand from others that have tried this it is somewhat hit and miss as to what actually happens (would be interesting to hear your experience!)

csmba said:

I add a shared folder to computer B, and it is added to the %#%& desktop! how silly is that? and the worse part is that there is no freaking way to tell mesh you want that folder in a different place.

When you select a folder to sync it asks you where you want to place the folder. The default location is set to the desktop but this can be changed to wherever you want it (on a local drive only) - you can either press the "Browse" button or type in a path to the new directory.

• Proposed as answer by nachmore Saturday, November 29, 2008 1:56 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ben [Live Mesh] Tuesday, January 20, 2009 9:38 PM
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 1:56 PM

All replies

• I second that!
    It is totally ridiculous that Mesh is 2 years behind FolderShare.

I add a shared folder to computer B, and it is added to the %#%& desktop! how silly is that? and the worse part is that there is no freaking way to tell mesh you want that folder in a different place.

if you gonna tell me about the "change sync settings" options... the location/browse window/button are disabled! on all boxes (vista, xp source, target.. doesn't matter)

Saturday, November 29, 2008 12:30 AM
  • Unfortunately you can't currently move a synced folder to a different location. That said you can try the following:

1. Remove the folder from the mesh (the files will stay)
    2. Move the folder to wherever you want it to go
    3. Resync the folder from the mesh, but when it asks you which folder to sync to specify the existing folder

Live Mesh should then merge the two folders, and theoretically see that the contents are the same and not resync everything. That said though from what I understand from others that have tried this it is somewhat hit and miss as to what actually happens (would be interesting to hear your experience!)

csmba said:

When you select a folder to sync it asks you where you want to place the folder. The default location is set to the desktop but this can be changed to wherever you want it (on a local drive only) - you can either press the "Browse" button or type in a path to the new directory.

• Proposed as answer by nachmore Saturday, November 29, 2008 1:56 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ben [Live Mesh] Tuesday, January 20, 2009 9:38 PM
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 1:56 PM
  • I have also complained about the stupidity of placing Live Mesh folders on the desktop by default.  I've seen this is also a suggestion request on Microsoft Connect, so hopefully they do something about it.

That said, here is the strategy I take to deal with a new sync folder:

1. On the originating machine, right-click the folder and choose the option to publish it to Live Mesh.  This folder can be anywhere on the originating machine.
    2. In the synchronization options dialog you get when creating the new sync folder, do not specify any other machines to sync to.  Make sure all other devices in your mesh are set to "do not synchronize with this device".  If you specify synchronization to other devices during the creation, it will automatically place the folder on the device's desktop and start populating files to it.
    3. On the other devices in your mesh that you want to synchronize the new folder with, you will now see a stub live mesh folder on the desktop of that device.  Double click on this stub folder, and a synchronization settings dialog will come up.  Make sure you change the synchronization location to the actual file system location you want to use and then select OK.
    Live Mesh should then start synchronizing the device using the folder location you specified, rather than placing the files into a folder on your desktop.

Again, the key is to select no other devices when you initially create the synchronization folder and then manually go to each device you want to join the synchronized folder and manually subscribe to the folder to get the option to specify where you really want the folder stored.
    • Proposed as answer by nachmore Monday, December 1, 2008 12:46 AM
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 10:00 PM