Password to connect client to server will not work in new setup of WHS 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• I have just installed WHS 2011 onto an Acer H340 Home Server computer. Everything seems to have installed properly. The network can see the server from my client computer, but I cannot log onto the computer using the connect software or remote desktop sharing. Every time it asks for a user name and password. The username I use is the "nameofserver\administrator" and the password is for certain the password I was originally asked to input during the set-up process for the server. I am stuck.

I have tried to connect from two different Windows 7 machines on the same network but get the following error..."The password that you have entered is incorrect. Enter the Windows Home Server 2011 password again." Now I know the password is correct, and I truly don't want to try a fresh re-install of the WHS 2011 software again, just to end up in the same position. Where do I go from here?

I have also tried the response below to my post on another blog but cannot find the specified component services listed within the folders indicated.

“Please try the steps in the thread which has the similar issue.

1. Go to Start -> All Programs -> Administrative Tools -> Component Services.

2. Find 'WHSTransportService' under Console Root/Component Services/Computers/My Computer/DCOM Config

3. Right click -> Properties. Go to security tab.

4. Under 'Launch and activation permissions press 'Customise' and click the Edit button

5. Click on 'add', and in the screen that pops up type in the box: IUSR_<your server name here>

6. Click 'check names' and see the text you just entered change in something like '<your server name here>\IUSR_<your server name here>'

7. Press OK and check whether or not the user you just added is showing in the list. Now give this user full control.

8. Try entering the password again, it should work now.

If it doesn't you can try doing the above for 'Access Permissions' and 'Configuration Permissions' (in step 3) also.”

Thanks, Mark

Monday, February 10, 2014 4:19 PM

Answers

• Here's what I had to do to get the system to finally work. Did a fresh reinstall of software. Made sure that both computers were using the same keyboard language (which may have been my initial downfall). Made sure to use all of caps, lower case, numbers, and special characters within my password. Not sure if all those were required, but it worked!

Thanks for your suggestion.

• Edited by mljacques Wednesday, February 12, 2014 7:32 PM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Qi Saturday, February 22, 2014 9:44 AM
    Wednesday, February 12, 2014 7:31 PM
  • Thanks for your suggestion. The server was headless. But after a fresh reinstall of the software and careful consideration to the keyboard languages on both computers, and the use of caps, lower case, numbers, and special characters in the password, I had success.
    Wednesday, February 12, 2014 7:34 PM

All replies

• Instead of username "nameofserver\administrator" have you tried to use "administrator" as your username. Also if your server is not headless, can you log in directly through your hard console?

Mark G

• Proposed as answer by Lunker 1 Wednesday, February 12, 2014 11:12 PM
    Wednesday, February 12, 2014 1:00 AM
  • Caps lock?
    Wednesday, February 12, 2014 4:55 PM
  • Here's what I had to do to get the system to finally work. Did a fresh reinstall of software. Made sure that both computers were using the same keyboard language (which may have been my initial downfall). Made sure to use all of caps, lower case, numbers, and special characters within my password. Not sure if all those were required, but it worked!

Thanks for your suggestion.

• Edited by mljacques Wednesday, February 12, 2014 7:32 PM
    Wednesday, February 12, 2014 7:31 PM
  • Thanks for your suggestion. The server was headless. But after a fresh reinstall of the software and careful consideration to the keyboard languages on both computers, and the use of caps, lower case, numbers, and special characters in the password, I had success.
    Wednesday, February 12, 2014 7:34 PM