PC Restore boots to safe mode only RRS feed

• Question

• I recently had the hard drives and mother board replaced on my DELL XPS M1730 laptop.  I then restored from a backup on my Windows Home Server (HP EX475).  The restore appears to work, but it will only boot to safe mode.  I've tried the oldest backup I have, and it has the same problem as the latest backups.  Any ideas?
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 2:21 AM

All replies

• I recently had the hard drives and mother board replaced on my DELL XPS M1730 laptop.  I then restored from a backup on my Windows Home Server (HP EX475).  The restore appears to work, but it will only boot to safe mode.  I've tried the oldest backup I have, and it has the same problem as the latest backups.  Any ideas?

Did you replace the motherboard with the exact same model as the original?
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 3:47 AM
  • May be you run into a bug, which is fixed only with the next Power Pack, which is currently only available as Beta. The exclusion of Temp folders in the former versions can under some cirumstances cause system files missing after restore.
    There is no easy fix for this, you could try to insert the OS medium and run sfc /scannow.
    Or you may have to use the OS disk to perform an inplace upgrade by running setup from within the started Windows.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 8:26 AM