Cannot start Mediation server service ... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

We had OCS Beta 3 running  and have just upgraded to the Public Beta release. Now with the mediation server requiring 2 NIC cards we reused a server we had that had such a configuration.

That servers previous role was the Edge server (Access,etc). I uninstalled this software and then installed the new Mediation server s/w on the server... but now the service will not start. I get the following errors (I have edited the GUID's for safety sake)

Is this a Registry error or a Active Directory error ??? - It looks like the uninstallation of the Edge server roles failed to clean the system and now with the Mediation Server on this particular server it is throwing errors. But can I rebuild this server and solve the problem OR is it a Domain Controller issue (Active Directory) and rebuilding is a waste of time

Any help appreciated. (see errors below)

Regards

Eoin

The server configuration validation mechanism detected some serious problems.

4 errors and 0 warnings were detected.

ERRORS:
    Two server roles at FQDN [SERVER1.sipccocs.com] have different 'Treat As Authenticated' options. First server has GUID {XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXX} and role 'Mediation Server' (option is set). Second server has GUID {YYYY-YYYYY-YYYYY-YYYYY} and role 'A/V Authentication Service' (option is not set).
    Two server roles at FQDN [SIPSERVER8.sipccocs.com] have different server version numbers. First server has GUID {ZZZZZ-ZZZZZ-ZZZZZ-ZZZZ} and role 'Mediation Server' (version 3). Second server has GUID {GGGGG-GGGGG-GGGGG} and role 'A/V Authentication Service' (version 0).
    Two server roles at FQDN [SERVER1.sipccocs.com] have different 'Treat As Authenticated' options. First server has GUID {-------} and role 'Mediation Server' (option is set). Second server has GUID {------} and role 'Edge Server' (option is not set).
    Two server roles at FQDN [SERVER1.sipccocs.com] have different server version numbers. First server has GUID {-----} and role 'Mediation Server' (version 3). Second server has GUID {-----} and role 'Edge Server' (version 0).

WARNINGS:
    No warnings

Cause: The configuration is invalid and the server might not behave as expected.
    Resolution:
    Review and correct the errors listed above. You also wish to review any warnings present.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 4:05 PM

Answers

• I would guess the original Edge server was not deactivated prior to the uninstall leaving application data behind...
    Wednesday, March 28, 2007 5:44 PM

All replies

• I would guess the original Edge server was not deactivated prior to the uninstall leaving application data behind...
    Wednesday, March 28, 2007 5:44 PM
  • Hi thanks for the reply.

But I had deactivated the original edge server before uninstalled. But we found the problem

When we installed the new OCS it picked up the previous settings from the original OCS installation and in the global properties->edge servers  ield it had the (now) Mediation server info.

Removing this solved the problem.

Eoin
    Thursday, March 29, 2007 7:58 AM