customer service, what customer service? RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased my laptop right before windows vista was released, so once it was released, I was sent a copy of the vista upgrade to install.  I just installed it last night & am not sure if I like it or not because I am unable to find some of the features that were easily accessed through XP.  I am wanting to disable the tap/click feature of the touch pad, which I was able to do through XP, but am unable to find in vista.  So I called microsoft customer service since this has nothing to do with my laptop's manufacturer.  After a long info gathering process, I was then informed that microsoft was unwilling to give me the information requested because I should have contacted the computer manufacturer.  Why?  It has nothing to do with Dell.  The problem occurred when I switched operating systems, & there's only a problem because I can't locate the feature when I could previously.  Still, nope, they won't help & now I either go through the whole, what should have been a quick fix, issue with Dell or go back to windows XP.  This is the 2nd time this has happened.  Microsoft won't help me with a microsoft issue because they think that Dell installed the software, when they didn't.  I then contacted Dell (for my previous problem), & they don't understand why Microsoft wouldn't help me, they said they had no way of fixing the problem.  In my opinion, Microsoft doesn't really want to help their customers; they just want to pass on THEIR issues.  It's ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Friday, May 4, 2007 1:06 AM

Answers

• Morgancp,

Please look at the System Properties page of your current Windows Vista installation.  If the installed Product ID has the letters "OEM" as the second group of characters, the computer manufacturer is responsible for supporting you in accordance with its current support policies.  Here's an example:  Windows Product ID: 89578-OEM-7215067-16805

If the Product ID is anything other than "OEM" then Microsoft itself is responsible for supporting you under its current end user support provisions.  Here is an example:  Windows Product ID: 89580-014-0290845-71647

A super-quick way to get to the system properties page:  Press and hold the Windows key, then press the Pause/Break key the release both simultaneously.

Regarding the touch pad....Synaptics makes a huge percentage of the touch pads used on Dell laptops.  You can download Vista drivers for Synaptics touchpads here:  http://www.synaptics.com/support/drive.cfm, but you may want to take the advice Synaptics posts on that page:

IMPORTANT
    The Synaptics device driver is customized to meet the specific requirements of your device manufacturer. To ensure that you get the appropriate device driver for your system, download your Synaptics device driver from your system manufacturer's support website.

For more information on the advanced features enabled by the Synaptics Driver, view our Driver Product Brief.

Note: Installing a generic driver can result in the loss of customized Synaptics pointing device functionality.

• Marked as answer by JeniferA Thursday, September 11, 2008 7:09 PM
    Friday, May 4, 2007 2:53 AM

All replies

• OEM versions of Windows Vista are 100% supported by the manufacturer.  Contact Dell support for any Windows Vista related issues.
    Friday, May 4, 2007 1:31 AM
  • Morgancp,

Please look at the System Properties page of your current Windows Vista installation.  If the installed Product ID has the letters "OEM" as the second group of characters, the computer manufacturer is responsible for supporting you in accordance with its current support policies.  Here's an example:  Windows Product ID: 89578-OEM-7215067-16805

If the Product ID is anything other than "OEM" then Microsoft itself is responsible for supporting you under its current end user support provisions.  Here is an example:  Windows Product ID: 89580-014-0290845-71647

A super-quick way to get to the system properties page:  Press and hold the Windows key, then press the Pause/Break key the release both simultaneously.

Regarding the touch pad....Synaptics makes a huge percentage of the touch pads used on Dell laptops.  You can download Vista drivers for Synaptics touchpads here:  http://www.synaptics.com/support/drive.cfm, but you may want to take the advice Synaptics posts on that page:

IMPORTANT
    The Synaptics device driver is customized to meet the specific requirements of your device manufacturer. To ensure that you get the appropriate device driver for your system, download your Synaptics device driver from your system manufacturer's support website.

For more information on the advanced features enabled by the Synaptics Driver, view our Driver Product Brief.

Note: Installing a generic driver can result in the loss of customized Synaptics pointing device functionality.

• Marked as answer by JeniferA Thursday, September 11, 2008 7:09 PM
    Friday, May 4, 2007 2:53 AM