How to transfer a HDD with Windows 7 to a new computer, when the old computer is not operational RRS feed

• Question

• My computer stopped working, and I believe it's the faulty motherboard.  Now I am going to build a new PC using new m/b, CPU, Power supply, and other stuffs, but want to use the existing HDD.  The most instructions on the web are very extensive in regard how to transfer existing HDD to a new PC, but all require the existing computer is operational to make a prep.  Now that I can't use the old computer, what shall I do?  Should I connect the HDD to the new system and run a full installation with the original disc? In this case, how can I activate the Windows 7, since the product ID has been already used?  Even in this case, can I preserve data in the HDD?
    • Edited by mkbl Wednesday, September 21, 2011 5:09 PM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 5:07 PM

Answers

• You just activate it.  You can leave the box checked for "Activate automatically when I get online" and that will work.  There is no such thing as deactivating the old installation first.  Don't worry about it.  If you need to activate by phone (I doubt it) the software will tell you and tell you how.  You are worrying for nothing.  When offered the opportunity to activate, just say yes.
    Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:52 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• since the product ID has been already used?

You mean the Product Key.  That is what is printed on the label on the dvd case.  The Product ID is entirely different.  It is generated by Windows and is displayed on the system properties page. 

If your copy of Windows was preinstalled on the computer when you bought it you need a new copy of Windows.  OEM licenses expire if the motherboard is changed.  OEM licesnse are not transferrable.  It has nothing to do with being installed on the hard drive.  New mobo means new computer.

If your copy of Windows was an upgrade license you will also not be able to use it unless you can first install a copy of Windows qualifying for the upgrade.  Upgrade licenses are transferrable but only if the original license is also transferrable and re-installed first.

If your copy of Windows was a full license retail copy (boxed or download) then you can simply install the old hard drive and start the computer.  You may need to perform an upgrade-in-place (aka repair installation), but there is a fair chance that the OS will be OK without that.  Windows will start up looking for drivers and will need to be reactivated.  Full licenses are transferrable.  Be sure to have the drivers disk that comes with the mobo on hand.

If you plan on using a new hdd for Windows then I suggest you do a fresh installation and then connect the old hdd as a second drive from which you can copy the data as you wish.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 5:41 PM
    Answerer
  • "mkbl" wrote in message news:7a3dd375-5d17-4c21-92fe-c3f0562f0759...
    My computer stopped working, and I believe it's the faulty motherboard.  Now I am going to build a new PC using new m/b, CPU, Power supply, and other stuffs, but want to use the existing HDD.  The most instructions on the web are very extensive in regard how to transfer existing HDD to a new PC, but all require the existing computer is operational to make a prep.  Now that I can't use the old computer, what shall I do?  Should I connect the HDD to the new system and run a full installation with the original disc? In this case, how can I activate the Windows 7, since the product ID has been already used?  Even in this case, can I preserve data in the HDD?

replacing the motherboard under anything other than Warranty conditions will invalidate the OEM Windows License. Either way, an OEM License is NOT transferable to the new PC.
    You will have to purchase a new Retail license for Win7, and then use that license to make the system genuine.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:38 PM
  • I have a retail full installation disk.  My question is how to activate the Windows, when I already used the product key, the process, not whether it is allowed to transfer. 
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:47 PM
  • You just activate it.  You can leave the box checked for "Activate automatically when I get online" and that will work.  There is no such thing as deactivating the old installation first.  Don't worry about it.  If you need to activate by phone (I doubt it) the software will tell you and tell you how.  You are worrying for nothing.  When offered the opportunity to activate, just say yes.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:52 PM
    Answerer