Can not activate Office Small Business 2003 edition RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I purchased Sony laptop on April 2006. Microsoft Office Small Business 2003 came toghether with the manufacturer's software packages.

At that time, I can activate the software by telephone to the full version. Recently, I format the whole laptop and reinstall everything from the discovery partition (no CD). I could not activate my Office software.

I still kept the XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX numbers array (is this product id?) that I used to activate at that time.

What should I do in this situation? How can activate it to full version?

Thanks,

Bao Nguyen

Friday, March 2, 2007 6:04 AM

Answers

• Nguyentanbao,

I understand the inconvenience you are currently experiencing and would like to provide you with some self-help options we have made available for our customers to address the issue you are currently experiencing.. Please follow the steps outlined below as it could either resolve your issue or, if need be, provide us with additional information to determine the cause of this issue.

1. Ensure you log onto the computer experiencing the issue with “Administrator” rights.
    2. Next we would like to confirm that you are running the most current version of the Genuine Advantage control on your computer. In order to do this please follow the below link and choose the “Validate Office” option.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine

If the above steps did not resolve your issue lets continue with the steps below.

I would like to provide some of the self-help options we have made available for our customers to address these issues. If you could please follow the steps outlined below the diagnostics Web Site will attempt to resolve the validation errors you are experiencing with Office.
    http://www.microsoft.com/Genuine/diag/RunDiags.aspx?displayLang=en

Next follow the on-screen prompts to resolve the issue if any of the checks at the above site fail. You can do this by choosing the “Resolve Now” button if it appears. If, after attempting to resolve the issue as per the instructions on the above site fails, please refer to the link below and run the MGA Diagnostics tool:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012    

You will be prompted to either “Run” or “Save” the tool. Choose to “Run” the tool and follow the on-screen prompts. You will receive an “Internet Explorer-Security Warning” dialog box for the “Windows Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool”, you must choose to “Run” this tool when prompted.

Once you are presented with the Diagnostics tool choose “Continue” to run the diagnostic report. If the “RESOLVE” button is available after running the diagnostics, please click “RESOLVE” to allow the diagnostic tool to attempt a repair.

If the issue still has not been resolved could you please provide us with the following information:

1. After running the MGA Diagnostic tool, click on the “Windows” tab and then click on “Copy”.
    2. Please return to this post and “Paste” the results here for additional review.

Wednesday, March 7, 2007 11:35 PM

All replies

• Nguyentanbao,

I understand the inconvenience you are currently experiencing and would like to provide you with some self-help options we have made available for our customers to address the issue you are currently experiencing.. Please follow the steps outlined below as it could either resolve your issue or, if need be, provide us with additional information to determine the cause of this issue.

1. Ensure you log onto the computer experiencing the issue with “Administrator” rights.
    2. Next we would like to confirm that you are running the most current version of the Genuine Advantage control on your computer. In order to do this please follow the below link and choose the “Validate Office” option.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine

If the above steps did not resolve your issue lets continue with the steps below.

I would like to provide some of the self-help options we have made available for our customers to address these issues. If you could please follow the steps outlined below the diagnostics Web Site will attempt to resolve the validation errors you are experiencing with Office.
    http://www.microsoft.com/Genuine/diag/RunDiags.aspx?displayLang=en

Next follow the on-screen prompts to resolve the issue if any of the checks at the above site fail. You can do this by choosing the “Resolve Now” button if it appears. If, after attempting to resolve the issue as per the instructions on the above site fails, please refer to the link below and run the MGA Diagnostics tool:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012    

You will be prompted to either “Run” or “Save” the tool. Choose to “Run” the tool and follow the on-screen prompts. You will receive an “Internet Explorer-Security Warning” dialog box for the “Windows Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool”, you must choose to “Run” this tool when prompted.

Once you are presented with the Diagnostics tool choose “Continue” to run the diagnostic report. If the “RESOLVE” button is available after running the diagnostics, please click “RESOLVE” to allow the diagnostic tool to attempt a repair.

If the issue still has not been resolved could you please provide us with the following information:

1. After running the MGA Diagnostic tool, click on the “Windows” tab and then click on “Copy”.
    2. Please return to this post and “Paste” the results here for additional review.

Wednesday, March 7, 2007 11:35 PM
  • Thanks Stephen,

I have followed your instructions and all the validations passed successfully.

But I wonder how this could fix the problem that I encounter. My problem because I can not activate my Office Small Business 2003 into full version. Before, I used phone to activate it into full version successully but when I reinstalled I could not.

Could you provide me more information?

Thanks a lot,

Bao Nguyen 

PS. This is the information I copied as your instruction:

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-F4WJP-F69MX-YBQ46
    Windows Product Key Hash: G4E5LGMJEEmX/TK4y6rM0hzdxRA=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-OEM-2211906-00110
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: e3feee99-bfec-4fb4-bad5-9f5976f920ed
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.17.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.17.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 102
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Office Diagnostics:

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: D:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>e3feee99-bfec-4fb4-bad5-9f5976f920ed</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-YBQ46</PKey><PID>76487-OEM-2211906-00110</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-2468772632-3929403206-477564400</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Sony Corporation</Manufacturer><Model>VGN-SZ160P</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies LTD</Manufacturer><Version>R0083N0</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="31"/><Date>20060710000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>Sony Corporation,Sony Corporation</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>64073C07018400EE</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name>Sony Electronics Inc.</name><model>VAIO Computer</model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>102</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91CA0409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Small Business Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>C07054CE8BB1274</Val><Hash>qG4glbPLrMtQDVXYYzuXtWh8YPI=</Hash><Pid>70160-OEM-5631411-74577</Pid><PidType>13</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Thursday, March 8, 2007 3:23 AM
  • Bao Nguyen,

Thank you for posting the Diagnostic report information. In turn this allows me to see what is happening and provide more insight as what may be happening. Please look @ the line OGA Data and pay particular attention to Office Status. 
    Office Status: 102
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Office Diagnostics:

Office status code indicates you  are running a trial version of Office that is valid for ‘a limited number of days. If you have used this version for more than "X" days, please contact a reseller to obtain a genuine copy of Office. Bao if I may be of further assistance please re-post here. Have a great day!

Thursday, March 8, 2007 6:43 PM
  • Thanks Stephen,

I am not sure in the past how I could activate my Office to full version. There was no limited number days at all. I used phone to do activation at that time. And everything was going smoothly.

I have 2 questions:

1. I still keep the numbers that the automation voice from the phone told me (7 parts, each part has 7 digits). Is there anyway to trackback my copy with these number?
    2. May I know what is the genuine copy of Office? Is it provided for free in my situation?

I appreciate your time, Stephen.

Bao Nguyen

Thursday, March 8, 2007 9:07 PM
  • Hello Bao,

No problem your welcome. The Diagnostic report you provided indicated your Office was an evaluation (trial) version. Basically you are granted a limited number of days which you can activate and use the trial version. Bao please share with where you received Office Small Business 2003. Did this come with a new PC? Did you reveive a free trial copy from a store?  The packaging should have an End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) and will explain in detail. Tell me about the digits which you reference. Is this a product key? If it is a product key this would be activate your trial version for the number of days indicated in your EULA. 

Please re-post at your earliest convience.

stephen MS

Thursday, March 8, 2007 9:52 PM
  • Stephen,

My answers are below:

Did this come with a new PC? 

>>> Yes, it's shipped together with the laptop.

Tell me about the digits which you reference. Is this a product key.

>>> I am not sure what to call it. These are the numbers I received when I called to Activation center (not sure the name), the automation voice ask me to read the key I saw on the activation screen. And then, it reads another serial numbers for me as I described above (7 parts, each part 7 digits). And I used these numbers to fill in to 7 textboxes on activation screen then I was good to go to full version. (I could do this only once, recently I could not).

If you need I can post those numbers but I am not sure it's appropriate to publish those numbers on here or not. Please give me suggestion.

Thanks,

Bao Nguyen

Friday, March 9, 2007 1:44 AM
  • Bao,

Could you please file a service request with Microsoft Product Support:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=52029Once you have done this, please reply back to this post and provide the SR # generated by the service request. Please let me know if you would be willing to do this. Here you will be asked to provide your 5x5 product key (xxxxx-xxxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx). Please do not post a product key here.  Once we get the key we can take a look at it and tell more about your issue.

Saturday, March 10, 2007 12:39 AM
  • Stephen,

Sure, I will do that. But currently I don't have information in hand. I will get back to you soon.

Thanks,

Bao Nguyen

Saturday, March 10, 2007 12:59 AM
  • Hi Stephen,

I have placed a SR# 1031204019

I copied again the question of this thread. I included the Product Key  and the Serial Numbers that I received.

(There is one wrong SR I made, please ignore SR# 1031203533)

Thanks a lot,

Bao Nguyen

Saturday, March 10, 2007 2:39 AM
  • Hi Stephen,

Is there any update on this issue?

Thanks,
    Bao Nguyen
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 4:01 AM
  • Bao,

Still researching and will get back with you.

Thank you,
    Stephen Holm
    OGA Forum Program Manager,
    Stephen MS

Monday, March 19, 2007 9:29 PM
  • Hi Stephen,
    How's it going on there? May I know the status?

Thanks,
    Bao Nguyen
    Sunday, March 25, 2007 10:13 AM