WHS Secondary Drive Upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• I have a small box with an 80GB primary drive and a 160 for storage.  The MOBO on this system has 2 sata ports so i could only have 2 drives. I had ample space for my media and backups.  My desktop has a 500GB hdd and i never even got close to 100GB (with all my media on the home server) so i decided to trade the WHS's 160 for my desktops 500. I used clonezilla to clone the 160 onto the 500. I installed it into the server, but know when i look at the server storage it says i have 47 gigs free and 338 dedicated to system.  How do I free up my unused space???
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 1:22 AM

All replies

• Cloning of server storage drives is unsupported and known to cause problems. The only supported way of recovering from these problems is server reinstallation.

You can try the following, but I don't guarantee it will work:
    • Remove the 500 GB drive and replace it with the 160 GB drive (which I will presume is still effectively the clone source).
    • Restart your server.
    • Is everything okay? If so, then connect the 500 GB drive to your server using an external (usb, firewire, eSATA) enclosure or a SATA/IDE-to-USB bridge device.
    • Add the 500 GB drive to server storage.
    • Remove the 160 GB drive from server storage.
    • Shut down your server and install the 500 GB drive internally.
    • Restart your server.
    If the above doesn't work, server reinstallation is your next option.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 3:11 PM