Home server wants to use the boot (IDE) drive as storage and I don't RRS feed

• Question

• I have been able to get WHS to work fine, except one issue - I have an IDE drive for loading the operating system on and I have two SATA 1.5TB drives that I want WHS to save the data on (one as a copy of the other). The problem I have is WHS wants to use some of the IDE drive as storage too. I tried re-installing thinking I missed an option but if there is one I still didn't see it.
    Is there a way to tell WHS not to use the IDE/boot disk drive as storage?

Wednesday, December 9, 2009 8:35 PM

Answers

• WHS will always use the system drive as part of the storage pool - the C: 20 GB system and D: DATA partition is a hard requirement. There is no way around it.

This is useful for a few reasons, mainly so the D:\shares can work correctly in a 1-drive configuration. Data will be stored on this partition last, only if the other disks of your storage pool are full.
    • Marked as answer by dsp3300 Wednesday, December 9, 2009 10:45 PM
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 10:11 PM

All replies

• WHS will always use the system drive as part of the storage pool - the C: 20 GB system and D: DATA partition is a hard requirement. There is no way around it.

This is useful for a few reasons, mainly so the D:\shares can work correctly in a 1-drive configuration. Data will be stored on this partition last, only if the other disks of your storage pool are full.
    • Marked as answer by dsp3300 Wednesday, December 9, 2009 10:45 PM
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 10:11 PM
  • Thank you Evaders99 - this is what I needed to know so I can go forward with setting it up; didn't want to store on it if I could keep everything to the two 1.5TB drives
    Neal
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 10:47 PM