WHS2011 RWW to XP Home Client RRS feed

• Question

• When trying to remotely connect to a client PC that has XP Home SP3 installed, I am unable to connect. When viewing the home page that lists all available computers with the client software installed, it says "Unsupported operating system" next to that computer, but in the WHS2011 system requirements, it lists XP Home as being supported. Any thoughts?

Bill Rodgers

Friday, December 16, 2011 1:19 AM

Answers

• Hi Bill,

As per your other thread above. XP Home is supported from the point a view that a WHS connector can be installed, the PC backup up etc. But access remotely from the web page is not available. In similar fashion to WIn 7, remote desktop connections can only be made to XP pro and above.

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home
    • Marked as answer by Ken Warren Friday, December 16, 2011 2:48 AM
    Friday, December 16, 2011 1:49 AM

All replies

• Hi Bill,

As per your other thread above. XP Home is supported from the point a view that a WHS connector can be installed, the PC backup up etc. But access remotely from the web page is not available. In similar fashion to WIn 7, remote desktop connections can only be made to XP pro and above.

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home
    • Marked as answer by Ken Warren Friday, December 16, 2011 2:48 AM
    Friday, December 16, 2011 1:49 AM
  • Thanks Dave. Is there no workaround for the "Home" OS version? When I looked at the system requirements, I saw that it supported both XP Home and Win 7 Home but I failed to scrolled down to the fine print relating to Remote Access. So this is the same issue that there is with SBS and Remote Access it would seem. If no workaround exists, then it looks like I will have to eat an upgrade to Pro for my client. Darn, there goes some of the Xmas money. That is what I get for not focusing on the fine print. Bill
    Friday, December 16, 2011 3:55 AM
  • ... Is there no workaround for the "Home" OS version? ...
    There's no legal workaround for the inability to connect to home versions of Microsoft operating systems this way, no. If your Google-fu is strong, you might find a hack that enables it. That won't do you any good as far as Windows Home Server is concerned, though; it "knows" that Home versions don't support incoming Remote Desktop connections, so it won't offer the option even if you do hack the target system. 
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, December 16, 2011 3:44 PM