Vista x64 backup issue RRS feed

• Question

• I had posted about this before but didn't hear anything back from the WHS team. Now, I've done a fresh install of Vista x64 and only installed the basic stuff (like Microsoft Office). I installed the connector (by the way, the http://homeservername:55000 method just doesn't work - you always get a http 401 security error - you always have to map the drive and run setup). and tried doing a backup.

This time my VSS was running perfectly and I get the following 5 event log messages in a row on backup failure.

I have verified that the VSS service is running (it was stopped in manual mode but I started it just to make sure it worked).
    I also did a Vista backup and that worked just fine.

Any thoughts?

They are, order:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: The VSS Coordinator class is not registered. This may be caused due to a setup failure or as a result of an application's installer or uninstaller.

Operation:
    Instantiating VSS server

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance. hr = 0x80040154.

Operation:
    Instantiating VSS server

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: The VSS Coordinator class is not registered. This may be caused due to a setup failure or as a result of an application's installer or uninstaller.

Operation:
    Instantiating VSS server

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance. hr = 0x80040154.

Operation:
    Instantiating VSS server

The description for Event ID 770 from source HomeServer cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

BACKUPSERVER
    Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeException: Catastrophic failure (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8000FFFF (E_UNEXPECTED)) ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8000FFFF): Catastrophic failure (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8000FFFF (E_UNEXPECTED))
    at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.IVssBackupComponents.InitializeForBackup(String bstrXML)
    at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeSet.CreateShadowVolume(VolumeInfo[] volumes)
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeSet.CreateShadowVolume(VolumeInfo[] volumes)
    at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeSet..ctor(VolumeInfo[] volumes)
    at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.RunWithoutCatch()
    at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.Run()

Saturday, August 30, 2008 3:15 AM

Answers

• Found the problem. It had nothing to do with VSS at all, it's just that the error message is entirely useless and some basic checks aren't being performed to determine the root cause. The cause was that a non x64 connector was allowed to install on the x64 client (should not have been allowed). But once it did, it kept trying to backup with the failure message that I'm sure had nothing to do with VSS. Anyway, I figured out how to upgrade the connector (a task in itself since something with my PP1 upgrade didn't go right) and now everything works fine.

Monday, September 1, 2008 2:31 PM

All replies

• Jeff,

It's possible that your VSS service hasn't registered for some reason. It might be worthwhile going through the following:

in command shell run:

Code Snippet

Cd windows\system32

Net stop vss

Net stop swprv

regsvr32 ole32.dll

regsvr32 vss_ps.dll

Vssvc /Register

regsvr32 /i swprv.dll

regsvr32 /i eventcls.dll

regsvr32 es.dll

regsvr32 stdprov.dll

regsvr32 vssui.dll                           ##Possibly only applicable for Windows 2003##

regsvr32 msxml.dll

regsvr32 msxml3.dll

regsvr32 msxml4.dll

the last 3 depend on what XML versions you have installed.

if you get error here, re-install corresponding XML version

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324460

Note that I haven't had any problems running the Connector installation from the server location, either on Vista 32 or 64. Also, under a normal installation, the VSS service is set to Manual. Any service which wants to use it, call it up as needed.

Colin

Saturday, August 30, 2008 5:19 PM
  • So, someone had posted this the last time I had this issue and I ran through all of it. Remember that this is a clean install of Vista x64. Everything up to regsvr32 /i eventcls.dll worked. In addition, the es.dll and vssui.dll didn't work. The regsvr32 msxml3.dll worked fine. So those two dll's (only the es.dll exists) didn't work. And the registration ran it just threw the following errors:

For the es.dll it was

[Window Title]
    RegSvr32

[Content]
    The module "es.dll" was loaded but the entry-point DllRegisterServer was not found.

Make sure that "es.dll" is a valid DLL or OCX file and then try again.

[OK]

But aside from this, the VSS service is working as verified by backups and restore points being created with Vista x64. There are no other pieces of software (I don't think) which could effect VSS. The last time I had this problem VSS wouldn't start at all.

Saturday, August 30, 2008 7:45 PM
  • Found the problem. It had nothing to do with VSS at all, it's just that the error message is entirely useless and some basic checks aren't being performed to determine the root cause. The cause was that a non x64 connector was allowed to install on the x64 client (should not have been allowed). But once it did, it kept trying to backup with the failure message that I'm sure had nothing to do with VSS. Anyway, I figured out how to upgrade the connector (a task in itself since something with my PP1 upgrade didn't go right) and now everything works fine.

Monday, September 1, 2008 2:31 PM
  • Jeff,

Glad you got it working, it's frustrating when the error message doesn't show the info required, however that appears to be a common problem!

Colin

Monday, September 1, 2008 5:24 PM
  • Jeff,

I realize that its been a while, but this is the only place that I have found someone else having the same issue.  I am experiencing this on two different Vista Ultimate X64 machines and for the life of me can not seem to get it to work.  How did you go about solving you issue exactly if you don't mind.

Thanks in Advance!

-Nick
    Sunday, May 3, 2009 4:57 AM