none
Company Store licensing? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a client who is looking to validate all of the software on their ~20 windows machines. I'm seeing however, many boxes that say 'Microsoft company store purchase'.. which sorta makes sense because they wanted to save money and we're about 3 miles from campus.

Anywho, is it legal (say, if my client gets audited) for a company to be running all of its microsoft software purchased from the microsoft store, or do they need we need to repurchase all of those titles?

I've looked around for documentation about this, but I haven't found anything. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thursday, June 29, 2006 12:18 AM

Answers

• Purchases like this have special agreements attached and are *very* specific for terms of use. I would highly recommend to checking the Employee handbook for exact usage restrictions (or have the purchaser do this).

But in most cases - no, store purchases are not to be used for business reasons.

-Phil Liu

Thursday, June 29, 2006 1:21 AM

All replies

• Purchases like this have special agreements attached and are *very* specific for terms of use. I would highly recommend to checking the Employee handbook for exact usage restrictions (or have the purchaser do this).

But in most cases - no, store purchases are not to be used for business reasons.

-Phil Liu

Thursday, June 29, 2006 1:21 AM
  • well I'm pretty sure they aren't.. but who would be the party in trouble, the employee or the business? They are retail copies, and my client didn't sign any agreement saying that it would be for personal use only. The only thing the box says is 'Not to be sold' --and it wasn't sold.

Don't get me wrong, my gut feeling is that its for personal use only and not 'supposed' to be used in a business setting. However, I'd like to see some legal documentation that supports this claim. If its just retail software being sold dirt cheap to someone and then given to a business, while that employee might be in trouble, I think the business could be in the clear?
    Thursday, June 29, 2006 2:13 AM
  • Japerry:

The exact usage, terms of "gifting" or "sale", and even purchase amount all vary and have specific limits within the Employee Handbook. I urge you to talk to the original purchaser to review that document for exact terms or product usage from the Store. Usage is VERY, VERY specific for Store purchases and have specific EULA's corresponding as well.

-phil liu

Thursday, June 29, 2006 8:30 AM
  • right, but there is still not legal documentation. I looked through Office, windows, visio and none of the EULA's we recieved say anything about company store and personal use only.

The closest thing I've gotten to is that if we were audited, and they found out that it is company store software, that the employee whom gave it to us would be held responsible for breaking company policy. However, our company would be in the clear because we have not acknowledged any EULAs stating that it is illegal to use store software for business. (even though the company policy says its forbidden)

I've talked to the piracy hotline, IT support line, business support line, and finally an employee at microsoft's corporate legal office. The above is what he told me, but said that its 'off the cuff' because he can't find anything written about prohibited use, outside the internal handbook. Since the handbook does not apply to us, and we don't have an EULA stating that its forbidden, from our standpoint it isn't.

PS. I have no contact information with the MS employee who provided us with the software.
    Thursday, June 29, 2006 7:17 PM
  • Again, you'll have to contact the original seller/gifter for details regarding this unfortunately. Internal documentation cannot be discussed in public forums :(.

Good luck!

-phil liu

Thursday, June 29, 2006 11:35 PM