none
Threading

General discussion

• As one who agitated for a threading view of the forums, I do not find the current threading display, as implemented in preview, very useful. The main reason is that it does not initially display enough of the thread, and it takes forever to drill down to the later parts of a long, or even moderate length, thread.

IMHO. this is due to using what I think is fundamentally the wrong approach to displaying the threading information. In an NNTP reader (at least mine) the indented thread display shows only the title and name of the responder, and it shows the entire tree. Clicking on any item displays the message in a different pane.

While the NNTP approach might be feasible, I would like to suggest another idea: Keep the current list view (which most folks seem to like), but for each post have a two-line header, like so:

Sam Jarawan on Friday, July 11, 2008 2:32:25 PM
    In response to: maxruben on Friday, July 11, 2008 2:25:19 AM

I feel that this scheme would have the following advantages:

1. While it does not provide the full thread information that an indented display does, I feel that it does deliver the essential context that is missing in the current list view.

2. A single display could be used for all users (no list/thread option required)

3. It is a minimal change to the current list display.

4. There is no problem with over-indenting of a long thread, because there is no indenting.

5. The two line header would also allow vertical space on the right side for display of the full set of posting options (Reply, Quote, Edit, Vote, Mark, Propose...) that are available in the single thread view.

6. The same two-line header approach could be used in both the preview and the single thread view (though personally I think the single thread view would be redundant if all the posting options were in the preview).

Any comments?

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    • Edited by davewilk Saturday, July 19, 2008 5:15 PM Rephrase
    Saturday, July 19, 2008 12:56 PM

All replies

• Nobody bothered by the new threading display? Does anybody actually use it?

Do people just not think that seeing the threading context is important? Personally, I feel that it is very important, but I do not use the new threading view, because I do not find very inconvenient.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 11:17 AM