sata drive not formating RRS feed

• Question

• WHS ask for the Sata drivers when install starts. These drivers are on my motherboard CD, which I browse to when WHS ask for them. The drive is then recognized. I go through the erase disc questions, and value key input, then format starts. The slider goes about 10% of the way and then hangs. Thinking it my be the hard drive, I used another HD. No change. Thinking it might be the pin, I tried all settings. Nothing. It just will not format. I know WHS works on my system, because I have installed it on my IDE drive, but I don't want it there. I want it on my SATA Drive. What am I missing?
    Saturday, May 19, 2007 1:52 PM

Answers

• If you haven't, you should try creating an "F6 floppy" with the Windows Server 2003 SATA drivers, rather than swapping the CD in. You'll need the driver at two points in the installation. The first is during the initial graphical setup, and the second is at the beginning of text-mode setup, when you're prompted to hit F6 if you need to load additional storage drivers.
    Saturday, May 19, 2007 4:37 PM

All replies

• If you haven't, you should try creating an "F6 floppy" with the Windows Server 2003 SATA drivers, rather than swapping the CD in. You'll need the driver at two points in the installation. The first is during the initial graphical setup, and the second is at the beginning of text-mode setup, when you're prompted to hit F6 if you need to load additional storage drivers.
    Saturday, May 19, 2007 4:37 PM
  • Adding to Ken's advice, you can also place the drivers onto a USB thumb drive.  It will ask to carry over the drivers from the graphical install to the text mode install.  Click yes and you shouldn't haven't to install them during the text mode install.
    Saturday, May 19, 2007 4:56 PM
  • I don't do a CD swap. I have 2 optical drives. I have put the drivers on a floppy, but it keeps looking for a txt file, which I don't understand.
    Sunday, May 20, 2007 9:24 PM
  • I had all sorts of odd errors in install. Here are a few ideas/thoughts

SATA drives can be presented in  the BIOS several ways and require a different driver for each. In addition, the install will see the drive sometimes, and may or may not ask for a driver.
    Different SATA BIOS settings would allow the SATA drives to emulate IDE (INT 13 calls/IRQ reroutes), use SATA in AHCI mode, or SATA as RAID. The first one most likely will not require a driver, the last two most likely will.
    With the driver, it is used twice. Once on the initial install and format and once after several reboots. Just as in an XP install where you are prompted to hit F6 to install a driver, you will also see that here. If you blink as you enter the text mode phase of install, you miss it and you have no idea why the install fails (presumably you have no idea).

Steve Worcester
    Monday, May 21, 2007 7:35 PM
  • My experience has been different - I attempted to use a thumb drive and after going around in circles for several hours with messages about corrupt drivers, I installed W2K3 server successfully, loading the drivers from diskette, and then installed WHS with the drivers from the diskette, the very same drivers that when loaded from the thumb drive gave me error messages.
    Monday, May 21, 2007 10:03 PM
  • Steve, IMO the best way to handle SATA controllers in systems with IDE drives as well is to select the IDE emulation mode (which may be called "Legacy IDE", "IDE Emulation", or something else). Too many people are reporting problems getting a system with mixed drive types to install successfully for me to recommend otherwise. 
    Tuesday, May 22, 2007 12:04 AM