none
Issues adding workstation nodes to cluster

Question

• Hi all,

got a problem here that is puzzling me. I've got my HPC server all up and running just fine, I've got a windows 7 workstation node that is ready to be added. There is connectivity between them.

when I add the node in, it connects just fine then I get a series of errors:

Time    Message
    05/03/2014 13:23:41    Could not contact node 'PC-Name' to perform change. Connection Failed. A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to 169.254.121.53:6730

Where does it get the 169.254.121.53 address from? It's nowhere near correct. The win7 box has a DHCP IP address and is in a 10.x.y.z range. The DNS is fine so I'm confused as to where HPC picks that IP up from.

I'm also getting this error:

Time    Message
    05/03/2014 13:24:44    The Management service encountered an error while performing a change on the node: Access by head node domain_a\servername to node doamin_b\PCname is denied. This can occur if you are adding workstation nodes that are not in the same Active Directory domain as the head node, and you did not specify the fully qualified domain name.

Any suggestions? The head node is on a different domain but I have permissions.

thanks.

-- Gary Williams

Wednesday, March 05, 2014 1:27 PM

All replies

• To better understanding, could you provide more info?

1. HPC Version
    2. any trust relationship between domain_a and domain_b
    3. HPC Netowrk Toplogy

BR, Yizhong

Thursday, March 06, 2014 1:34 AM
  • Hi,

Sorted out the APIPA IP problem, turned out that there was a second adapter in the system which wasn't showing up for some reason so now I'm just working out the issues with the cross domain authentication.

1. HPC version 2012

2. there isn't a trust in place

3. the network technology is 'all nodes only on an enterprise network'

-- Gary Williams

Thursday, March 06, 2014 11:19 AM
  • I am afraid that the domain_a and domain_b must have trust relationship. Workstation computers that are joined to any domain that has an established trust relationship with the domain to which the head node is joined

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff601843(v=ws.10).aspx

BR, Yizhong

Friday, March 07, 2014 7:18 AM