Ran windows update for vista, but now windows activation 0xc0000022 {access denied} error RRS feed

• Question

• HI,
    i ran windows update yesterday, prior to this my vista premium was working perfectly. my klaptop is a toshiba a210 , with vista pre installed, no original vista discs.

After installing ( i think it was a couple of important updates ) it boots to the log on screen, when i log on i get a error window ....

"windows activation
    an error has occurred

code 0xc0000022

description:
    {access denied}
    A process has requested access to an object, but has not been granted those access rights."

if i close the window, it brings me back to the log on screen.

I managed to get onto internet explorer by clicking on the help link, but have no task bar ( unless i goto c: and run explorer ) , but i am unable to run control panel, or a few other programs.

i ran wga diagnostic tool and got :-

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0006.1):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid License
    Validation Code: 50
    Online Validation Code: 0xc0000022
    Cached Validation Code: N/A, hr = 0xc0000022
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-JQMWD-2QJRJ-RJ34F
    Windows Product Key Hash: R8gPTEFMoOygFewoq/uOoWMpz68=
    Windows Product ID: 89578-OEM-7332157-00237
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 6.0.6001.2.00010300.1.0.003
    ID: {89E627FC-3343-42CC-BB01-9491C7078F0A}(1)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.9.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium
    Architecture: 0x00000000
    Build lab: 6001.vistasp1_gdr.080917-1612
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: 6.0.6002.16398

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.7.111.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-604-645_B4D0AA8B-604-645_025D1FF3-364-80041010_025D1FF3-229-80041010_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-517-80040154_025D1FF3-237-80040154_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-244-80070002_025D1FF3-258-3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{89E627FC-3343-42CC-BB01-9491C7078F0A}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0006.1</Version><OS>6.0.6001.2.00010300.1.0.003</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-RJ34F</PKey><PID>89578-OEM-7332157-00237</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-3178289334-3284957240-1201784785</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>TOSHIBA</Manufacturer><Model>Satellite A210</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>TOSHIBA</Manufacturer><Version>V2.00</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20080610000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>EA323507018400FE</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM><OEMID>TOSCPL</OEMID><OEMTableID>TOSCPL00</OEMTableID></OEM><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Spsys.log Content: 0x80070002

Licensing Data-->
    C:\Windows\system32\slmgr.vbs(1634, 5) (null): 0xC0000022

HWID Data-->
    HWID Hash Current: PgAAAAIABAABAAEAAgADAAAAAwABAAEAJJTCl6pYAyZK8YaDkKa4keJDRM95zfL0Guym4SBPen/EA6xW+vw=

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    BIOS valid for OA 2.0: yes
    Windows marker version: 0x20000
    OEMID and OEMTableID Consistent: yes
    BIOS Information:
      ACPI Table Name OEMID Value OEMTableID Value
      APIC   PTLTD     APIC 
      FACP   TOSCPL  Herring
      HPET   PTLTD   HPETTBL
      MCFG   PTLTD     MCFG 
      TCPA   TOSCPL         
      SLIC   TOSCPL  TOSCPL00
      SSDT   PTLTD   POWERNOW
      ASF!      DMA  AMDTBL 

does this mean anything to anyone???

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 11:59 PM

Answers

• Hi James,

Those are the only things I can think of that might have resolve the problem. 

From the message you received from the sfc /scannow command, it's likely the issue is larger then a WGA problem and being non-Genuine is a side-effect  from that larger issue. 

You could contact Vista Support and see if they can use the cbs.log to track down and fix the corruption, but since your Vista is an OEM version (i.e. came pre-installed in the computer and support is provided by the computer's manufacturer) Vista support would probably charge for the support.

Very sorry I couldn't be more help,
    Darin MS
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers.
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, March 19, 2009 11:20 PM
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 11:19 PM

All replies

• Hi James4204,

From the error message you received, it sounds like there is a problem in Vista's Licensing Store. Below are two sets of steps. The first will attempt to regenerate the Store and the other will recreate it. Please see if one or the other set of steps will resolve the issue.

1) Click the option that launches an Internet Browser
    2) Type: %windir%\system32 into the address field
    3) Find the file cmd.exe
    4) Right-click on cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator
    5) Type: cscript %windir%\System32\slmgr.vbs /ilc %windir%\System32\licensing\ppdlic\Security-Licensing-SLC-ppdlic.xrm-ms
    6) Hit the Enter key
    7) Reboot twice

1) Return to the cmd windows 
    2) Type: net stop slsvc  (it may ask you if you are sure, select yes)
    3) Type: cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareLicensing
    4) Type: rename tokens.dat tokens.bar
    5) Type: cd %windir%\system32
    6) Type: net start slsvc
    7) Type: cscript slmgr.vbs -rilc (It may take a long time for this to complete, please be patient)
    8) Reboot Twice
    9) You may be required toRe-enter your Product Key and/or to Re-Activate.

Hope this helps,
    Darin MS

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers.
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 1:07 AM
  •  In addition, you may want to try changing your product key to the one listed on the certificate of authenticity (COA) sticker (it is is located on the side or bottom of the computer) 

To do this:

1) Open Internet Browser
    2) Type: %windir%\system32 into the browser address bar.
    3) Find the file CMD.exe
    4) Right-Click on CMD.exe and select 'Run as Administrator'

5) Type: slui.exe 3 and hit the Enter key
    6) Type in the Product key from the sticker on your computer
    7) Click the Next button.
    8) You will be asked if want to Activate, click ok
    9) It may attempt to Activate by the internet and may return an Invalid Key error (this is ok, continue to the end of the wizard)

If it Activates successfully, then you are done, otherwise go on to step 10 

10) Go back to the CMD.exe window
    11) Type: slui.exe 4 and hit the Enter key
    12) Select your location in the drop down menu and click the Next button
    13) The next screen provides the number to call to Activate by Phone

Thank you,
    Darin MS

Thursday, March 19, 2009 1:23 AM
  • Hi
    thanks for the replies,

i tried all three things, all of them seem to not work,

First one runs script hosting, then ends up saying "c:\Windows\system32\slmgr.vbs(1634, 5) (null): 0xc0000022"

second one stops readyboost and software licensing then allows me to rename the file.
    it allows me to restart licensing service
    when i do the cscript command i get the same error "c:\Windows\system32\slmgr.vbs(1634, 5) (null): 0xc0000022" ( it finishes pretty much as soon as i write it, not taking a while like you said it may )

third one i typed slui.exe 3 ,the hard drive whirs, but no program starts, unfortunatly there is a number of programs that wont run , mainly the ones in the control panel

any ideas?????

i really wish i hadnt of updated my perfectly working pc via windows update, :(
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 9:04 AM
  • Hi James4204,

After some research, the error code 0xC0000022 appears to mean "Application failed to initialize" and from the Diagnostic report (and the error messages you receieved when following my steps) it appears that slmgr.vbs (a.k.a. Software Licensing ManaGeR) is the Application that is failing to initialize.

Very strange, I've been doing this for a long time and I've never seen this issue.

First off, try doing a System Scan. The scan will look for bad Vista files and will attempt to repair them, if possible. Maybe it's not initializing becaue it's damaged in some way.

1)    Login to Vista in Normal Mode (not safe mode)
    2)    Launch an Internet Browser
    3)    Type: %windir%\system32\ in the browser's address field
    4)    Scroll down till you find the file cmd.exe
    5)    Right-click the file and select 'Run as Administrator'
    6)    In the CMD window, type: sfc /scannow
    7)    Reboot twice and see if that resolves the issue.

If that doesn't work, try repairing Windows using System Restore:

1)     Reboot Vista into Safe Mode
    2)     Go to Control Panel
    3)     On the left hand side of the Control Panel window, Click on "Classic View"
    4)     Double-click "Backup and Restore Center"
    5)     On the left hand side of the window, click "Repair Windows using system restore"
    6)     Select "Choose Different Restore Point", Put a check in the box that says "Show restore points older than 5 days", select the restore point that corresponds to the date Before you first noticed the issue.
    7)     Click the "Next" button.
    8)     Reboot (twice) back into Normal mode

Tell me how this works out,
    Darin MS

Thursday, March 19, 2009 8:08 PM
  • unfortunatly i cant access control panel , but, i managed to start system restore.... and then realised i turned it off a while ago to speed the system up for a game ( yeah, i know stupid move! )

i ran the sfc /scannow and it didnt work either :(

it finished saying windows resource protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.

details are included in the cbs.log

( i was going to paste this, but it was 15mb )

sigh, looks like im going to have to reformat

Thursday, March 19, 2009 11:06 PM
  • Hi James,

Those are the only things I can think of that might have resolve the problem. 

From the message you received from the sfc /scannow command, it's likely the issue is larger then a WGA problem and being non-Genuine is a side-effect  from that larger issue. 

You could contact Vista Support and see if they can use the cbs.log to track down and fix the corruption, but since your Vista is an OEM version (i.e. came pre-installed in the computer and support is provided by the computer's manufacturer) Vista support would probably charge for the support.

Very sorry I couldn't be more help,
    Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, March 19, 2009 11:20 PM
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 11:19 PM
  • thanks all for your help

guess its time to do the mamouth task of reinstalling everything, bummer!
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 11:22 PM
  • I hear ya, I'm building a new computer as well as swapping out some hard drives on my old computer and I don't look forward to it. 

I don't mind the reinstall, I just hate getting everything back to the way I like it.

Good luck and sorry again,
    Darin MS
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 11:31 PM