Linking Hp Homeserver to Netgear Ethernet switch RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

Here is a conundrum for you. 

I have my homeserver upstairs in my house where I have a PC as well.  One ethernet cable comese from the router that is downstairs up to the room where the server and a PC are located.  As I have only one ethernet cable into this room. I purchased a NETGEAR GS605 Gigabit Ethernet Switch and I have followed the instructions for the switch and have connected the Ethernet cable from downstairs into the switch.  I have also connected the server to the swich as also the PC.  The Server is showing the blue light to indicate that it is on the network, and the lights on the switch are on showing it is connected.  The PC works fine and acces to the internet is good from this computer.

However, the icon on the PC upstairs for the server is grey and shows no connection.  I have rebooted the server and tried to reinstall the connecter software on the PC but it says that it cant find the server.  The main PC down stairs has also lost connection with the server.  All the connections look right.

Is there a problem with the way the server is talking to the switch? , IP address or something?

If I plug the ethernet cable from downstairs straight into the server and not via the switch then all works again.  This is the second switch that I have tried but I have to say that this is the first time I have used a switch so I am venturing into the unknown.  Any advice would be helpful.

Regards

Clemster
    Friday, April 17, 2009 12:33 PM

Answers

• Hi guys,

Sorry for the delay.  I changed all of the ethernet cables that entered the switch and that seemed to solve the problem.  Thanks for all your help. Much appreciated.

Clemster
    • Marked as answer by Clemster Monday, April 27, 2009 6:35 PM
    Monday, April 27, 2009 6:33 PM

All replies

• Check connections on the router. Make sure that the switch your server is connected to is not connected to the router's WAN port, or to a DMZ port (if so equipped).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, April 17, 2009 3:54 PM
  • Does the light on the switch stay steady or does it blink indicating any data transfer - especially when you boot up the server?
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 12:44 AM
  • Hi guys,

Sorry for the delay.  I changed all of the ethernet cables that entered the switch and that seemed to solve the problem.  Thanks for all your help. Much appreciated.

Clemster
    • Marked as answer by Clemster Monday, April 27, 2009 6:35 PM
    Monday, April 27, 2009 6:33 PM