none
Windows 7 Remote Access to WHSv1 RRS feed

• Question

• Just installed two new computers, one Windows 7 Professional and one Windows 7 Home Premium.  Both connect to the WHS server, but the Home Premium computer shows up as unsupported for Remote Access.   Backups, shared folders and the WHS Console work as expected, but Remote Access 'Computers' page shows "Not supported on this operating system" for the Home Premium system.  Is this an intended exclusion or is it a hold-over from Vista and XP days in the WHSv1 software?  One would think that a Windows HOME OS would be fully functional with a Windows HOME Server, or am I missing something?

I've seen posts that indicate that Remote Access will work for all Windows 7 computers in WHS 2011, but I'm hooked on Drive Extender and not quite ready to make a change.

Any avise or suggestion will be appreciated.

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 4:28 PM

Answers

• Remote access to home computers is supported from any version of Windows. However, only certain versions of Windows operating systems support an incoming remote desktop connection; that does not include "Home" versions of those operating systems.

This is true of both V1 and Windows Home Server 2011, and is determined by the group that's responsible for desktop OS development and features, so the group responsible for Windows Home Server has no control over this.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Steve517 Tuesday, December 27, 2011 5:09 PM
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 4:52 PM