WHS 2011: Run Application Remotely RRS feed

• Question

• I have a client running custom software, the license for which allows us to run it any way we want. They have WHS 2011 and the application is installed and running great. They access a shared folder and run the app on their tablets/desktops/laptops and everything is fine. However, we'd like to run this app over the Internet. It seems you can only manage files, not execute them using the file management built-in. So, what are my options? I see only a few right now:

1. Remote Desktop to the server and run it directly. (Bad idea, methinks)
    2. Log into the web interface and Remote Desktop into one of the client machines on the network, then run it from there. This is workable.
    3. Set up VPN and connect to the shared folders, then run it. I'm not sure how much I like this either, but think I dislike it less than RDP directly to the server.
    4. Is there some awesome way to run an app remotely?

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Thanks.

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 2:12 PM

Answers

• Connecting to the server via RDP is a direct violation of the EULA; Windows Home Server is not licensed for the Terminal Services role. Instead you should connect to a client machine and run the app that way, or use VPN (which may not offer the performance you'd prefer).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 6:05 PM