none
Windows Genuine Advantage Tool Installation Error RRS feed

• Question

• I am having an issue intalling Windows Media Player 11.  I have a small Windows Network and currently use WSUS to update all client machines on the network.  I am trying to install Windows Media player 11 and I am having issues with the install failing. I noticed when I ran Windows Update manually that the Windows Genuine Advantage tool needed to be downloaded and installed.  I tried to install it, but it failed with an error message stating that : You do not have permission to update this computer - or something similar to that message.  I ran Windows Update while logged on to an Administrative Account.  I understand that Windows Media Player 11 must be vaildated before installing thus my suspicion that the Windows Genuine Advantage Tool is causing this problem. I am having this issue in my Lab that is used by the public and it seems to only be isolated to the Lab, all other computers do not have this issue. The strange thing is that only a protion (9-10 computers) of a total of 22 computers are experiancing this issue.  The computers all have the same group polices applied and the same OS (Windows XP SP2) and applications.  

I have done research on this issue, but I was unable to find a resolution.  I have tried to download the Genuine Advantage Tool.msi and install it manually.  I have also tried to do the same with Windows Media Player 11, but with the same results.  I also found that other updates that require validation have failed as well (Exp: .NET Framework 3.0).

Has anyone else experianced this issue or could shed some light on how to go about troubleshooting and resolving this problem. Any thoughts would be appreicated.

Thanks 

Saturday, March 24, 2007 11:50 PM

Answers

• Hi Garrett Fortenberry,

In order to recieve the best support, we request all users initially run the Genuine Diagnostics tool to try and identify the issue you may be having.

Download and run the utility (on one of the computer having the problem) at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a response message in this thread.

Step 2 is tell us about the COA. Tell us:
    1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?
    2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?
    3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?
    4. DO NOT post the Product Key.

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Program Manager

--------------------------------------------------------

All Users: Please go to http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1255325&SiteID=25 before posting a question.
    --------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 7:21 PM